Embersville

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
A few from another urbex trip I just did -- all with either the X-M1 and Zeiss 12mm, or the X-E2 and Fujinon 23mm:

First one was done in a totally dark room using a long exposure and flashlights.

13366315313_db232b97c6_b.jpg

Embersville: Just Projecting by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366177175_cc9b366f5e_b.jpg

Embersville: Cleanliness IS Next to Godliness... by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366314773_3eb278e326_b.jpg

Embersville: Considering Decay by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366314443_41f3e40c0d_b.jpg

Embersville: Gazing at the Outside World by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366175545_1f961b591c_b.jpg

Embersville: Hands of Hope by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366175315_1175bfc6be_b.jpg

Embersville: Skyline Mural by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

13366174165_bb751fd512_b.jpg

Embersville: Trolley Mural by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Nice stuff John... I saw "Embersville" and immediately thought "Embreeville" and then when I opened it and saw it was another Chester County dweller, I figured it MUST be Embreeville. But looking at the images I can't see how it would be with such urban drawings on the wall. So, I'm sort of stumped...

-Ray

One more. A 3 minute 40 second time exposure and multistage processing involving Lightroom, Nik Color Efex Pro, and DXO Film Pack 3. This is not HDR

13377567503_510e55b13e_b.jpg

Embersville: The Show is Over by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Nice stuff John... I saw "Embersville" and immediately thought "Embreeville" and then when I opened it and saw it was another Chester County dweller, I figured it MUST be Embreeville. But looking at the images I can't see how it would be with such urban drawings on the wall. So, I'm sort of stumped...

-Ray

Ray, it's where you think it is but they ran youthful offender programs there before the place closed (all the way into the 2000's from paperwork left behind) and took kids from all over -- including Philadelphia.

One more. A 3 minute 40 second time exposure and multistage processing involving Lightroom, Nik Color Efex Pro, and DXO Film Pack 3. This is not HDR

13377567503_510e55b13e_b.jpg

Embersville: The Show is Over by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Ray, it's where you think it is but they ran youthful offender programs there before the place closed (all the way into the 2000's from paperwork left behind) and took kids from all over -- including Philadelphia.

Ahh, the stuff you can pass a place by for years and never know... Cool - I'll have a new appreciation going forward...

-Ray

Awesome!!! John, your images never disappoint.

Thanks!!!!

John, are you in SE PA or Texas these days? I'm confused. :confused:

Steve, I still live in PA where I have for many years -- but I occasionally have to trave for extended periods in my new job -- though when things settle down Texas won't be a primary destination. Our engineering group down there just isn't up to speed yet.

The travel is like the "good news/bad news" part of the job. Bit of a pain, but brings new subjects for photography.

Well done, John, as usual. I like the shot of the piano best. These series remind me of my years in India and Burma, where people would still work in totally decrepit buildings built by the British back in the colonial era. Back in Yangon I lived next to a newspaper agency. The building, liked most others looked worse than any of the buildings you've posted lately. Nearly all the furniture and equipment dated back to pre WWII and people would still work on typewriters and printing presses from the 1930s or even older stuff. Add pre WW II Morris buses in the streets, steam locomotives and so forth. I have many images from that time (late 90s) but mostly on film/prints and never digitized them. Back there I had one of the most wonderful times in my life and I guess you would have liked to shoot there too.

First off -- thanks all!

Well done, John, as usual. I like the shot of the piano best. These series remind me of my years in India and Burma, where people would still work in totally decrepit buildings built by the British back in the colonial era. Back in Yangon I lived next to a newspaper agency. The building, liked most others looked worse than any of the buildings you've posted lately. Nearly all the furniture and equipment dated back to pre WWII and people would still work on typewriters and printing presses from the 1930s or even older stuff. Add pre WW II Morris buses in the streets, steam locomotives and so forth. I have many images from that time (late 90s) but mostly on film/prints and never digitized them. Back there I had one of the most wonderful times in my life and I guess you would have liked to shoot there too.

Man, get thee a scanner, lol! I'd love to see that stuff. Negative scanners aren't that pricey -- I have a Plustek Optifilm 7500 and it's great and there are even better ones around and ones like mine available used cheaply. They scan 35mm slides or negatives but it's a good idea to use a better scanner software than what they provide. I use VueScan.

Thanks, John. We're talking about ~60000 negatives and slides,135 and medium format (ouch) and I really wouldn't know where to start - I've been to 53 countries (and counting), lol, but those times in Burma before mass tourism arrived are unforgetteable in many ways. I always liked to give those folks I photographed copies of the images, especially if it was years later and in some very remote part of the planet. I recently started to build my own frames from some really nice wood and fine passe-partouts, looking forward to gift some nicely framed images to some victims of my trigger happiness :)

Back