Sigma Embracing the cliché (or: the day I pretended to be a "street shooter")

lattiboy

Regular
Got a bit stir crazy today, and decided to go down to Pike's Place Market. I hate this place. I really do. It combines my two strongest hatreds: overpriced "artisanal" goods and bus loads of tourists.

But, there are people there. Weird, interesting people. And when it's a disgusting, overcast, cold Seattle day, it seems only natural to take some b&w "street" shots. "B&W Street Shots" being my third strongest hatred.

So, basically, I went to an incredibly cliché place and took incredibly cliché pictures.You know what? ....... I kind of hate doing this! I don't like these pictures very much, and I hate the feeling of being some Leica guy with a pony tail who quotes Cartier-Bresson and takes himself far too seriously.

However, it was better than sitting on the couch staring at my stupid dog. Enjoy!

(All taken with the DP1/2/3. Yes, I bought the other two models, because I lack self-control.)

market%2520%252819%2520of%252027%2529.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

market%2520%25286%2520of%252027%2529.jpg

market%2520%25282%2520of%252027%2529.jpg

market%2520%252822%2520of%252027%2529.jpg

market%2520%252824%2520of%252027%2529.jpg

market%2520%252817%2520of%252027%2529.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out whether your post is for real or very much tongue-in-cheek, because the photos are actually quite good. I like them all, but the second one is my favorite of the set.

The second shot for me too, what a stage. You could place almost anything between those dark walls and end end up with a nice shot: someone playing a piano, an elephant, a flock of white birds passing through, ...
Keep it up!

You managed an end-run around the clichés, and distinguished yourself from HCB with your own unique style. Your dread protected you like a lucky charm. Not bad for a day's work.

Nice set, the second one is excellent. A range of lighting can be hard, but this shot just revels in it. Maybe you're one of those artists that works best from an angry state. So, you suck. (You're welcome)

Yeah, #2 is pretty good. I was in a mood yesterday.

I stood in that alley for a very long time waiting for a geometrically pleasing alignment of people to line up. I almost started dragging people around to place them.

I hate every one of those silly cliché pictures of Leica fan-boys who think of themselves as new Cartier-Bresson. Every single one of them. Period.

Back