Philosophy Embracing the Shadows.

good stuff. I wish cameras had a metering mode to meter for the brightest part of the image. Lately, I've been doing it myself manually underexposing nearly everything. I find the images are much more pleasing to my eye.

good stuff. I wish cameras had a metering mode to meter for the brightest part of the image. Lately, I've been doing it myself manually underexposing nearly everything. I find the images are much more pleasing to my eye.
If I remember right, Luke, my Olympus E-M10 had such a feature, and metering for the darkest part of the image too. It was a very clever little beast.

I know what you mean - I really like images with strong directional light and shadow (like city streets) where the camera is metering to correctly expose the bright portions, and the shadows are rich and dark. Mainly I pick manual settings to get that look, just meter for the bright light and allow the shadows to go dark. Only minor shifts in exposure to accommodate predominantly lighter or darker situations.

Remember these?
Soligor Spot Meter.jpg

They worked very well as long you had an understanding of tonality and what you were pointing them at.
'Sorry. I had a moment of nostalgia.:rolleyes-74:
. . . David

I like Sean Tucker Videos:
Sean Tucker

Also I like Alan Schaller who only shoots 24mm street shots and was on Leica monochrom ad:
7 tips for black & white street photography with Alan Schaller

and Shoot and interview with Mark Fearnley

Which all of these lead to the Master Ho Fan:

Last edited:
Back