Fuji End of the line for the X-T1

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Haven't seen this discussed here yet: Fujifilm X-T1 (and X-T10) Officially Discontinued... An Emotional Farewell to the Camera that Changed Fujifilm's Future - Fuji Rumors

Not surprising, given the earlier thread about the end of the 16MP sensors. I bought a factory reconditioned X-T1 with a warranty early this year. Given there are people still using their original XP-1, I'm hoping my X-T1 lasts a long time. My biggest fault is I get complacent/bored/greedy after a while and want to try other camera gear. My sister-in-law has a Nikon DSLR she's been using 10 years or so, and it still works fine. It's her only camera, and she's happy with it. I'm trying to reach that level of gratitude.

My biggest fault is I get complacent/bored/greedy after a while and want to try other camera gear. My sister-in-law has a Nikon DSLR she's been using 10 years or so, and it still works fine. It's her only camera, and she's happy with it. I'm trying to reach that level of gratitude.

I know where you coming from, and I really, really try to adopt to the behavior of your sister-in-law :D And I've managed to reduce my active gear to two, or one-and-half one could say: X-T1 and X100S. These fellows provide me everything I actually need for my photography. And I challenge myself to only shoot JPEG. Yes, I shoot both RAW+JPEG, but really very rarely use RAW for anything.

Seeing X-T1 to be discontinued, well, sad moment, but that's tech business. There will be more and more advanced products available, but in photography as well as in other areas of life I've started to think the huge amount of waste we produce when we 'consume' technology products. I question myself, do I really need a new camera, or whatever I want or need and consider buying. If I can't honestly judge that I really need it, then I don't let the cash-machine sing. And yes, I still buy things just to get good feeling, but far, far less than before.

Each to their own, I don't want to moralize or something, but maybe the point was that we could value excellent products we already have more. And consider more when to jump into new bandwagons.

Cheers!

I know where you coming from, and I really, really try to adopt to the behavior of your sister-in-law :D And I've managed to reduce my active gear to two, or one-and-half one could say: X-T1 and X100S. These fellows provide me everything I actually need for my photography.
Mine are the X-T1 and X30. I had at one time considered selling the X-T1, but came to the conclusion that there was nothing else like it, at its size and weight, on the market. Even most of the MFT cameras that are rugged and weather sealed are larger and heavier, several by a significant margin.

Just went to the Fuji site and found this and don't see the X-T1 or X-T10 Specifications (Discontinued Models) : X Series | Fujifilm Global
That's interesting; they have it listed under Discontinued Products on their Japanese site.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got very excited by the pre-release hype around the Nikon Df. Those videos killed me - some bloke about my age, in Scotland (where I am from) and taking pics with an analogue style DSLR. I was invested in Nikon at the time (including manual focus lenses) and thought that the Df would be perfect. When the specs were revealed it was a "huh?" moment. Shortly after I saw the X-T1 release and I remember thinking that this was the camera I had hoped the Df would be. But it was pretty expensive and I still had a lot of Nikon lenses so parked that.

A year or two later, I decided to pick up a mirrorless to try my manual Nikon fit lenses on. I looked at the Olympus OMD-EM5 (to expensive), the Panasonic GX-7 (still too expensive) and the Fuji X-E1 (just right, at £199 for a mint second hand). As soon as I got it, I knew it was the camera for me, and I never used my Nikon after that. A few months later traded all my Nikon AF lenses and D300 in for a like-new X-E2 (plus some other bits). I had the option then to get an X-T1 but it might not have arrived in time for a trip I was making so I passed :(.

A year ago, I came into some money and decided to finally go for the X-T1 - I am so glad I did, to me it is everything a camera should be and I smile every time I use it.

To date I have only used manual focus lenses on it (adapted and Samyang native) but yesterday I picked up a new XC 50-230 so I can take pics of moving and further away things.

So, it is sad to see the X-T1 discontinued but I am sure that it will remain a great and capable camera for many years to come.

Andy

Although the X-T2 has a few new and attractive features, for my uses the X-T1 continues to perform admirably. I also have the X30 (discontinued - no replacement) and X100S (also discontinued), but since getting the former it gets very litle use, so no reason to upgrade to the X100F.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwww. Well, it had to happen sometime. Mine's been in for one well-earned overhaul already. I'd love an XT2, but I took a 50% paycut to move to paradise, and no more juicy bonuses for me each March, so it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

If my experience with the X30 is indicative, Fuji tech support will still cover the X-T1, and repairs should be available for about another year, if need be.
I've been fortunate to date in never having to send a camera in for repair (except the time I dropped a Sony A7 in the river, but that's another story!).

Awwww. Well, it had to happen sometime. Mine's been in for one well-earned overhaul already. I'd love an XT2, but I took a 50% paycut to move to paradise, and no more juicy bonuses for me each March, so it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
Same here. My X-T1 and X30 are fine little cameras that are in like new shape still. Barring accident or theft, I hope to have them a long time.

Bought the X-T2...thought about trading in the X-T1 for about 2 seconds ... just enough time to kick myself. I have the Samyang 12mm permanently affixed to the X-T1 ready for street work. I tend to use the X-T2 for most of my photography. Btw, that X30 is a real gem. I took it on a business trip to Australia which wound up lasting for 6 months and that was all the camera I had. It never let me down - took some great pics.

Here I am in 2021, still rockin' the old X-T1. It's been refurbished twice, but it's still going.

Valentine's date night: we cross country ski'd from the house down to the waterfront to a nice restaurant in a hotel that just was allowed to reopen for limited indoor seating. After a split meal and a beverage or two, we climbed back up the long hill home, about 5 miles round trip and 430 feet of elevation difference. Had the XT1 and 35 f1.4 on me in the little Domke bag.

Attachments

• KBRX0004.jpg
    KBRX0004.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 94
  • KBRX0006.jpg
    KBRX0006.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 77
  • KBRX0013.jpg
    KBRX0013.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 78
Must be 3 years ago now I sold my XT1, still think about it. Not only was it brilliant with adapted lenses, it also rendered native lenses a lot better than the new Fuji models to my eye. Great weight and balance, the need for ibis was negated.

Last edited:
On the subject of older models, my X-E2 is still going strong too. These days I’m a hobbyist photog, I can’t justify buying the latest and greatest every year. Since going Fuji I’ve loved the choice of rangefinder or slr style with the same great range of lenses. Got my eye on a 10-24mm WR, cash back deals around Easter time hopefully.

I borrowed an XE2 as a second camera for our trip to Africa in 2015. I loved everything about it, with one red-hot exception: The view mode for shooting is tied to the view mode for playback (photo viewing). You could not shoot "EVF + Motion Sensor" and then view pics on the rear LCD, you had to squint and look through the EVF for playback. I don't chimp much, and it still drove me crazy. And I think the thing that really made it just-that-much-more-angering was that it's just software. It's code. They could've changed it in minutes with one of the several firmware updates, but they never did, that I saw. That alone made me wait for a newer version, and I eventually bought the XE3, which I love.

Back