End of year numbers

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
Each year I amuse myself by selecting my personal favourite shots taken in the previous 12 months and gathering them into a Flickr set for the purpose. I exclude anything "personal" - family shots not shared with the world - or anything that has been done to order.

This year's pitiful efforts can be seen here.

I do find the breakdown of which I took with what quite interesting:

Panasonic TZ6 (now in Mrs. Bill's hands)................2
Ricoh GRD III......................................................7
Ricoh GXR Leica M module....................................6
Ricoh GXR A10 module.........................................1
Fuji X10..............................................................8
Nikon D700.........................................................1
Leica MP4...........................................................4
Pinhole...............................................................1

There's nothing in the toplist from my FM3a, or my II or M2 this year; a big turnaround from previous years.

I can think of some good reasons for at least some of the above. The GRD III was my constant companion during January for the one-a-day photo project. Much of what I have done with the Nikon is commissioned. The pinhole has not seen much action yet. The one that surprised me was the X10 - it really is a good balance of portability, usability and performance.

The other thing that comes across - to me at least, is that this is quite a "happy" set - there is a fair amount of humour in my choices. Whether this reflects my mood through the year or only when I made these choices, you decide. :D

Just some thoughts.

I thoroughly enjoyed that slideshow. Nice diversity. Most I had seen before but there were some I had missed. I really like the colors in the war re-enactment shots. My guess is those were with the MP4. Another fave for me was the girl peering from behind the curtains. Looks like it was a very good year.

Thanks Luke,

It is pretty well in chronological order, which makes the X10 stand out still more - it was only acquired in the Summer, and spent a few weeks being "de-orbed". You are right about the MP4 shots - one of my New Year resolutions is to shoot more film again :)

I'm pleased to hear that the X10 has come up trumps. I've been considering a more compact camera for ages and finally plumped for the X10 at the Comet closing down sale in Farnborough Gate. It was £244 and I took a chance :) It's been wrapped for Christmas so I won't have a chance to play with until then sadly.

p.s My favourite is the Grammar School Book, the light and the texture. Love the way your slideshow gallops along at a swift pace!

I'm pleased to hear that the X10 has come up trumps. I've been considering a more compact camera for ages and finally plumped for the X10 at the Comet closing down sale in Farnborough Gate. It was £244 and I took a chance :) It's been wrapped for Christmas so I won't have a chance to play with until then sadly.

Sorry to hear about your pain. There is a solution! See here:

How to Carefully Open Presents Before Christmas: 9 steps

Lightmancer

Now that's an interesting thing to do. By the way, the photographs are far from pitiful.

...I've been considering a more compact camera for ages and finally plumped for the X10 at the Comet closing down sale in Farnborough Gate. It was £244 and I took a chance :) ...

Not much of a chance :D it's a real bargain at that price. I was there myself a couple of days ago, on the search for a cheap soundbar. Nothing left of any interest, sadly, and I hate trying to get in and out of that place!! ;)

Seriously, I think you will be very happy with it. The only thing I have done (other than having it "neutered") was to get a leather half-case off eBay which made it a bit easier for my big hands. That and a second battery. I find that either the X10 or the GRD go everywhere with me, because they are just so damn easy to drop into a pocket or bag.

Great idea Bill and it's neat to see the ranking of the cameras in the mix. It would make sense that the ones you could easily carry would rank higher in keeper photos just due to the amount of photos they shot in comparison to the others. Wonderful images and I have to say while the color photos were nice too, I really like your black and white work. Kudos!

I don't know, Bill. You say the X10 produced more of your favorites than any other camera. How can you say that? Don't you know the introduction of the RX100 has instantly made all images from your X10 and all other compacts completely unusable? Even if it was the best at the time, the image quality of existing images immediately decay to garbage status upon the appearance of the next latest and greatest. Just kidding. :D

Your experience proves, once again, that most of us don't need anything close to the top, big-sensor cameras on the market to get excellent results. I don't know when Fuji plans to introduce a replacement for the X10, but the X10 is going to be a huge steal once the discounting begins.

Good question...

I use the OVF a lot - it was one of the things that attracted me to the X10. It is NOT wonderful; it is worse than the last generation of premium film compacts - but it is there. I am not a fan of composing with the arms-out-straight "Zombie stare" and I hate that I can't see the screen in bright light. I also hate being "illuminated" in low light, and the concomitant impact upon my night vision. It's not in the same class as my MP4, but it is there and I do use it.

Wrong adjective Bill. That's a great set. I'm particularly drawn to a great many of your B&W compositions - some really fine images in there. I loved the dashes of humour found throughout the collection.

Thanks for putting them together in one spot so we can enjoy them once again.

Back