Canon EOS-M 2 new rumor of announce date and specs

Great list Bill. What's bad is that it seemed like Canon used to be maybe a release behind, relying on strong brand recognition and system investment (DSLRs) to keep customers on board. I always thought it was an intentional strategy. But now as I see them fall further and further behind, with no hint of something innovative in the pipeline, I am really doubting it is a strategy.

It's a strategy you can afford to adopt when you're on top of the food chain. But other camera companies are slowly taking over and Canon is slow to catch on and evolve. Kind of like Kodak, and we know what happened with them.

FWIW, my brother got the original EOS M on clearance and he likes it a lot. He's a Canon shooter (among other systems) so he has some nice primes to adapt to the camera. If the M2 AF is faster, he'll likely pick one up when the price drops.

I do not want to be a Canon defender and fan-boy. It just so happens that my mirrorless needs happen to line up with what the M offers. I realize it might not work for others.

Having said that, if many of these other companies are pouring money into R&D and losing it on a global scale, while mirrorless everywhere outside of Asia is shrinking, then it seems Canon's approach might be OK, from a perspective of maintaining a viable business. At some point, DSLRs will retreat to a niche, but it's not yet, so Canon still has some time. I guess what I'm saying is they are playing it cautious, but could turn out to be brilliant in hindsight, though there is risk in their (seeming) strategy.

Thom Hogan says it will not be available in most European and likely not the American market either. No 11-22mm (which is a lens that would interest me in the system) and now no EOS-M2. For many of us it will be a gray-market only purchase.

Yes, Japan and China only. And it's more like an M1-S than an M2. Sort of what Olympus has done from time-to-time with their slightly upgraded m43 bodies for Japan only.

Yes, Japan and China only. And it's more like an M1-S than an M2. Sort of what Olympus has done from time-to-time with their slightly upgraded m43 bodies for Japan only.

It's a shame. It would be a killer Urbex camera with that 11-22mm I think. Super small, light, and high image quality. Still waiting for a credible ultrawide for the Fuji other than the Zeiss 12mm which isn't *quite* wide enough.

From DPR: Predictable posts: Canon EOS M Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review user meland

The DPR complaint template. In this case for Canon, but put in any vendor you need

Well the posts in this thread are at least totally predictable:

From those who have bought the original M - What! They must be joking. I'll keep the original M which is a much better camera anyway!

From those who want a mirrorless 1DX - What are they smoking? Canon are doomed!

From Marketing Expert - Canon couldn't market their way out of a paper bag!

From those who never buy anything regardless of specification - No thingy grommet socket! That's a deal breaker for me.

From big butch blokes - Why make it smaller? Why no extra battery grip? I always add a battery grip to every camera I buy.

From lens man - Where's my 3000mm, TS, pancake, macro?

From technical man - They could have done all of that with a firmware update.

From extremely technical man - Sheesh! It's still using a sensor! Where's the innovation in that?

From definite man - Until Canon puts the 70D sensor in their new cameras, I'm not interested, PERIOD!

From those who never liked Canon products in the first place - another heap of s**t!

I should point out that I consider the M a very good APS-C compact with a 35 equivalent lens for $299. That's why I bought it (on the advice of Thom Hogan) and I've been very happy with it in that capacity. I added the kit zoom for $120 and that's also proven useful. It's just that with a few fixes it could have been so much better, so it's more head shaking than outrage.

Back