Micro 4/3 EP1 and Focus

Photorx12

Regular
I just recieved my Ep1 and all is well withe camera itself, but I'm having focusing issues. When I take a picture the center is focused but the surroundings are out of focus. Are there any setting adjustments I need to make? I have the 14-42 kit lens and a nikon 50 mm 1.8 manual lens.

Here is a quick pic of what I mean, thanks

P7210920.jpg

Try taking the same shot from directly perpendicular to the plane of the keyboard. With such a short distance from the camera to the subject your depth-of-field is going to be very shallow which will be noticable as per your example image above.

Is the image above taken using the Nikon lens? I think I can see some Magenta fringing in front of the focal plane and Cyan behind it which is quite typical of older lenses at close focusing distances.

Yes, that was the Nikon, and I see what you are saying about angle, will keep playing around with the cam till i get the hang of it. The camera feels good in hand though, I like it.

The E-P1 is not the fastest camera in the world but if you can work around those limitations it's still very nice to use. Some of the mu-43 guys report that if you turn off the sensor-based image stabilisation the response times improve noticably...as long as you are happy to work without IS.

Is this your first non-compact camera? If so, shallower depth of field will get some getting used to (then like the rest of us, you might go crazy and really seek out shallow DOF before settling back into finding it's rightful place in your tool kit).

Back