Micro 4/3 EPM2/EPL5 + 14mm/2.5 vs Nikon A vs Ricoh GR

Not "perhaps." It IS better. With Pana 14 you get smeared corners even at f/5.6, and past that the entire frame gets softened by diffraction.

Also Panasonic 14mm lens has poor flare resistance. It is especially noticeable in nighttime photos when you get inverted flare spots for every bright light source in the bottom half of the frame. In daylight photos when you have sun outside the frame (but near the borders) it produces large, dull green half-octagonal ghosts which suggests that those ghosts are reflections of poorly blackened aperture blades.

You are such a kill joy Pavel!! ;)

I had a moment of weakness a couple weeks ago, and picked up a GR. I couldn't help it...

The GR is great. The EPM2/EPL5 with 14mm is also great. I use the GR as my P&S (and plan to use it for serious hike/street/candids), and find the small size really useful. It's also pleasant not having to take a lens cap off, and it's utterly discreet. Lovely.

M43 is still my favorite system. If I were forced to use one system, I'd pick m43 for the video, lenses, and the different types of bodies for different tasks. Good stuff!

Sitting here in sunny Spain for a month, I finally brought along the Fuji XE1 + 35mm 1.4, the Ricoh GR, X100s and my Sony RX1. Of this wealth of equipment, I've used the GR the most. The original problem of seeing the screen in bright light still exists but it's just about doable if I literally point and shoot. I suspect my having it set to RAW + black and white JPEG doesn't help. Probably I would see the screen better in colour but anyway...... The Ricoh is just there. In my hand on a wrist strap, good shaped grip, silent, light and no lens cap! I had previously considered buying a tiny Oly and using my PL14mm lens but it's still going to be bigger and bulkier and I'm not going to walk around with it actually in my hand.

Sitting here in sunny Spain for a month, I finally brought along the Fuji XE1 + 35mm 1.4, the Ricoh GR, X100s and my Sony RX1. Of this wealth of equipment, I've used the GR the most. The original problem of seeing the screen in bright light still exists but it's just about doable if I literally point and shoot. I suspect my having it set to RAW + black and white JPEG doesn't help. Probably I would see the screen better in colour but anyway...... The Ricoh is just there. In my hand on a wrist strap, good shaped grip, silent, light and no lens cap! I had previously considered buying a tiny Oly and using my PL14mm lens but it's still going to be bigger and bulkier and I'm not going to walk around with it actually in my hand.

That's how I was in Italy with the Nikon - always there. I ended up using the RX1 more, but that's because for the second half of the trip I had quite a few days where I went out for a chunk of a day specifically to shoot and the RX1 was the ticket for that. But when I was just out doing something else, the Nikon was always there. These little 28mm pocket cams are kind of a dream come true for me...

Out of curiosity, why the RX1 AND X100s???

-Ray

Succumbed to the X100s at the airport as it was a good price and I can always either return it with their own deal or sell it on if I don't get along with it. How I'm going to squeeze the cardboard box back in one piece I really don't know! I'll be going over to Palma for the last three days of my holiday and will probably use the RX1 a lot more then, that's really what I bought it for. Thirty years of having a little casa here and I can't find much to excite me enough to get a camera out here on the Costa del Sol. It's mainly built up here unless you drive further in land.

The original problem of seeing the screen in bright light still exists but it's just about doable if I literally point and shoot. I suspect my having it set to RAW + black and white JPEG doesn't help. Probably I would see the screen better in colour but anyway......

I tried setting the screen to b&w on one particular camera that I was having trouble seeing the screen with in bright light (Panasonic GF1) and I thought that the higher contrast helped with framing but of course it didn't help to give an accurate indication of how far you could push the exposure to the right.

The light in the city of Malaga yesterday was very contrasty and the shadows looked very dark but I'm relying on the elasticity of the Ricoh files to see me through when I get home ! Most people have said that it meters fairly accurately and so I decided to leave well alone.

That's how I was in Italy with the Nikon - always there. I ended up using the RX1 more, but that's because for the second half of the trip I had quite a few days where I went out for a chunk of a day specifically to shoot and the RX1 was the ticket for that. But when I was just out doing something else, the Nikon was always there. These little 28mm pocket cams are kind of a dream come true for me...

Out of curiosity, why the RX1 AND X100s???

-Ray

This is why I picked up the GR. It's just always there, so I use it more and more. Love the 35mm crop mode -- the only thing I'd trade the GR for is a 35mm eq. version. 35mm is my favorite focal length.

In my small and light kit with Domke FX5B, I can stuff a couple of lenses, a PEN, a GR, and some filters. I'm good to go for a day of shooting. When I'm just out and about the GR goes in the pocket. (And when I go into battle in full armor, I take the 5D3.)

Back