Micro 4/3 EPM2 in Yosemite National Park

Stan

Regular
Name
Stan
Summer is not my favorite time of year in my favorite National Park, but it's still a wonderful place to visit. Mostly I spent my time camping and enjoying the outdoors as opposed to being there for photographic purposes. My son and I particularly enjoy it there, and we especially like it at the higher elevations in summer months.

I took a bunch of camera gear with me, primarily Canon FF and M43, but mostly shot with m43. I brought Canon FF for one main purpose -- astrophotography at Glacier Point. A few of the nights were moonless, and being at 7400 ft with clear skies is a great opportunity to see stars. Otherwise I was shooting with EPM2 or LX7.

I highlight the Oly 17/1.8. Despite the "meh" reception it has received, I find it an essential lens for the format. It's a fast 35mm equivalent, and the snap manual focus is a superb feature, especially for long exposures for landscape photographers. It's not as sharp as say the PanaLeica 25mm, but it is still a really sharp lens with good performance across the frame. Images look great in print.

1. Pine Tree at Glacier Point (14/2.5)
Pine Tree at Glacier Point.jpg

2. Sierra high country (45/1.8 + linear polarizer)
The Sierra High Country.jpg

3. Pine Drop (45/1.8) -- A small plant that has no green color, hence the pine drop gets its food via stealing it from fungi.
Pine Drop.jpg

4. The Milky Way from my campsite (17/1.8, ISO 3200, 15 seconds)
Milky Way.jpg

5. I'll sneak in a non-SC image (Canon 5D3 + 35L). Stargazing at Glacier Point on a clear summer night is a sublime experience, and by itself (photography aside) is more than reason enough to visit YNP. The evening I was there, a thin crescent moon was setting in the west, which provided just enough light on Half Dome.
Starry Night Glacier Point-10.jpg

Great stuff Stan - I always like your Yosemite shooting. I suppose I can see why you prefer it in winter, but summer's got nothing to be ashamed of there! Wasn't the vast majority of Ansel's work done in the nicer months there? Maybe you should start shooting extremely large format B&W on your summer visits!

-Ray

Lovely. cheers Stan. Sneak in a few more of the 5D's . I wont tell !:D

Mind you the olympus & 17mm has done a great job too. Very impressed.

Ha ha! Many thanks! Amin might kick me out if I sneak in more 5D pics. The Oly 17 is solid. I've used it frequently the past 6 months, and I find it produces excellent results. Personally I love the focal length, so it's become my main lens on m43.

Great stuff Stan - I always like your Yosemite shooting. I suppose I can see why you prefer it in winter, but summer's got nothing to be ashamed of there! Wasn't the vast majority of Ansel's work done in the nicer months there? Maybe you should start shooting extremely large format B&W on your summer visits!

-Ray

Large format with glass plates! Ha! Actually now that you mention it, there are guys who live in or near Yosemite who shoot large format. You know the light is good when they show up and set up next to you. The giant prints they show in the galleries are amazing (and humbling).

Summer is great for hiking and getting up to higher elevations. The crowds are smaller, and it's springlike once above 7000 feet elevation. I could spend the whole summer hiking up there, if I could somehow swing it.

WOW!! I love #4 Stan. That's one awesome photo. I'm planning to make a trip out to Yosemite in November. I may have to try a similar shot! Thank you for the inspiration.

WOW!! I love #4 Stan. That's one awesome photo. I'm planning to make a trip out to Yosemite in November. I may have to try a similar shot! Thank you for the inspiration.

I haven't been in November, but I have been there in fall weather in December. It's a lovely time of year due to the colors and the relatively smaller crowds. Enjoy your trip!

Tell me more about the last shot, and post more!

I'm hoping I might get a chance to visit Yosemite in November as well, but I am not in charge of the itinerary so I will have to wait and see. I her it's all going up in smoke just now though?

Back