Epson R-D1s with Voigtlander Nokton 35/1.4

Burkey

All-Pro
Apr 18, 2011
Northern New England
What have I done! :2thumbs: 'Just got my "new to me" R-D1s back from Stephen Gandy at Camera Quest after a second check of the rangefinder patch alignment. Come to find out the first Nokton 35/1.4 I had had its own back focus issues. Stephen replaced it and all is good, very good actually. I have always really liked the R-D1 series color rendering and also really enjoy the rangefinder experience as an alternative to using our Fuji X cameras. The images below were from this afternoon's "test roll". Thought I'd share them. Any other R-D1 series camera folks around? R-D1s, Voigtlander 35/1.4, processed from JPEGs in LRCC.
. . . David
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Burkey

All-Pro
Apr 18, 2011
Northern New England
Thanks, Matt. And a whopping six megapixels to boot. ;-) From a purely aesthetic, (vain?), point of view I've always wished it said Voigtlander, as in Cosina Voigtlander, on the top plate instead of Epson. But. . .
. . . David

Last edited:

Luke

Super Moderator
Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
Every year or two, I get an itch to try one.....and they always seem too expensive for a 200 year old camera (at least in the digital age). I know one doesn't NEED more than 6MP, but I keep thinking SOMEONE will bring back this camera....without all its' quirks.....and for around $1,000. But maybe that's wishful thinking.

I will look forward to your photos, Bruce. They definitely take fine photos in the right hands. I'm just not sure that I'm the guy for it.

Burkey

All-Pro
Apr 18, 2011
Northern New England
Hey Luke. Yup, it's a bit quirky at its best and I find I'm relearning it whenever I pick it up. Its the way it renders an image that drove me back to get another one. They show up on Amazon for around $1200. and change but you will most likely need to find a real craftsperson to adjust the rangefinder patch as I did. Apparently getting the top plate off isn't an enjoyable experience.
Still, it is a fun and very different experience with rewards. I've made a couple of 6"X9" prints on my Pro 100 printer this afternoon and they look exceptional. The 6MP "thing" reminds me of the Digilux 2. Plenty of resolution.
PS - Bruce? ;-)
. . . David

Last edited:

Burkey

All-Pro
Apr 18, 2011
Northern New England
Almost a year later and I dragged out the R-D1s, mounted up our 50mm f2 Zeiss Planar, took pretty much the same shot as one I showcased last year and geezum! (My CL is sitting upstairs in a display/storage case pouting.). Very light Lightroom correction from ERF file. 'Thought I'd share, 6 megapixels and all.
. . . David

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom