Film Eric Kim article - What I Learned Processing 164 Rolls of Film After Waiting a Year

Great read! If anyone knows Eric, please invite him to our new site :).

I get my 35mm film processed at Costco too. I've yet to find a place that beats the prices, and the quality has always been there.

I get my 35mm film processed at Costco too. I've yet to find a place that beats the prices, and the quality has always been there.

i need to see if my local costco still develops... This is cheaper than the 10roll bundle i get off ebay.. Yes ebay! I found a lab that is great there.. but the wait!!! ha.. time to call costco!

Interesting article. I haven't shot color film for years, and for my purposes digital handles color very well. The prints in both cases are dyes, the RA-4 prints having the silver leached out after it has worked its chemical magic. For me, though, the silver in black and white film photography makes a difference. Although I do like my digital black and white just fine, it is a different medium and for me is not a replacement for black and white film. I'm not putting forth a general rule, just saying how it presently works out for me. I'm glad others shoot color film, but even before digital came along 99% of what I shot on film was monochrome.

A supervisor at a custom lab I worked for years ago left to go work for a local Costco, managing their photo lab, and I have no doubt that she ran a tight ship and monitored her chemistry and overall process to tight tolerances. As with most things, it depends on who is working there. But Costco as a company seems to 1.) be a good place to work and 2.) be committed to the quality of their additional services. In fact after waiting 4 years because I couldn't afford a couple of hearing aids, I recently went to Costco's hearing department to get two of their Signature series house brand devices (made by Resound). Unfortunately that same Costco has given up film processing.

I might shoot some E-6 slides if there were a good local place to process the film. I worked briefly years ago in a local camera store's own Santa Fe lab, but an electrical fire after a mini-explosion on its jury-rigged and outdated E-6 machine sent me running for greener pastures -- in this case a black and white sink line where I rolled film onto reels and developed it in deep tanks. No electricity!

Having read Eric's article, some of what he calls the advantages of film seems to apply more to him than others.

"Film gives you a consistent style" - no, you give yourself a consistent style. One of my favourite flickr photographers is Nicolas Bouvier, aka Sparth. He has used the Leica M9, the Leica X Vario, the Ricoh GR, the 5D Mark II, the Panasonic GH4, and now he uses some little Nikon pocket zoom. And the photos all look very similar. Sparth does not rely on the camera to give him a distinctive style, he has the style and makes the camera do what he wants.

sparth

Eric says that most people upgrade their digital cameras every two years, and he couldn't imagine having a digital camera for more than five. While I have lots of cameras and lenses, I've had my Leica M9 for five years and I still use it. In a sense, it is the camera I have come to associate with my style, and I plan to shoot with the M9 as long as it holds up. I'm planning for at least another five years, maybe more.

"Shooting film helps me relive an experience more vividly" - he goes on to say that if he shoots digital, he looks at them the next day, pulls out a few he likes, and never looks at the rest again. That might work for him, but not for me. I have all my photographs arranged in folders, organized by time and place. I can go to any month of any year of the past twelve years and there is a very good chance that I will have photographs of what I did on almost any given day, especially if I was somewhere outside the house. I can look through dozens of photos I am likely to have taken and note exactly where I was, what I did, and whom I was with.

"Film has greater longevity" - with digital advances like cloud storage and multiple backup options, I believe that this is becoming less and less applicable. Prints fade and colour negatives degrade over time. A digital file remains the same no matter how many times it is copied. The only thing limiting digital longevity is migration of files to more recent storage media. Get that under control and you'll be able to keep your entire life's work in increasingly large capacity physical media which are compatible with the latest technology, as well as likely to be readable in the future.

I do agree with his liking of the Contax T3; I've had one for several years and it is the film camera I carry when I'm not on an intensive shooting excursion.

Back