Fuji Essential Kit for X20

Cweath

This will be my first serious camera in a long while. I know I'll want a bag and SD cards, but what else should I be thinking about? Extra batteries? Filters? Tripod/monopod? I realize some extras are determined by my "prey" but that is still to be determined. I'm not much of a people shooter, that I know. Thanks for your thoughts.

If this is your first kit in a while, then I suggest that you not rush it. Start with the basic must-haves and then add items as you discover you need them.

You'll definitely require a modest bag, a spare battery (one comes with the camera) and two SD cards (one goes immediately in the camera and the second is a back-up.

Bag brands with good reputations include Tamrac, Lowepro, Domke and ThinkTank. I personally stick with SanDisk Extreme Pro memory cards. I use the 95mb/sec version but you can probably do fine with the 45mb/sec model.

I'd throw in a proper lens cleaning cloth and leave it at that until I knew I needed more.

I've got an X20 on order and I'm also wondering about what else to get while waiting.

I've already ordered a 3rd party filter and lens hood and a Gordy's strap.

My questions for anyone already experienced with the X10 would be

are some 3rd party batteries better than others in terms of retaining a charge?

and

is it worth putting a screen protector on the LCD?

thanks

Chris

One thing that to me is a must have is a good strap. The cheap pieces of polypropylene that come in the box suck! With this being a smaller lighter camera it doesn't have to be anything elaborate.

I would say an extra battery for sure and basic cleaning supplies. I prefer Tamrac bags myself but there are many good brands. One thing with a bag is to make sure it is a good fit for the camera and all the extras. But make sure there is a little bit of extra room just in case you do add an accessory or two down the road.

a fast SD, extra NP-50, the LHF-X20 hood/filter/cap, a Sqinno half-case, Gordy wrist-strap, a small "bop" like soft release, Lensmate thumbgrip, a good polariser and a couple of NDs, and if you have a decent bag, you're all set :) Except the LHF Fuji kit, they're all extremely decent prices, so you won't break the bank. Depends on how much you wanna spend on the filters though, their price can vary a LOT. Pro ones can go up to 100 EUR where i am from.
I went shopping crazy one day, got most of'em while the camera's on preorder...

Be careful. Too much stuff, clogs up the experience. Been there, done that. After 50+ years of experimenting with "the right gear", I now leave the house with one camera/lens, hood, close-up lens (screw-in), extra battery, and maybe small tripod with focusing rail attached. "He who travels lightest, travels fastest." or "Beware the man who only has one gun and uses it well".

Be careful. Too much stuff, clogs up the experience. Been there, done that. After 50+ years of experimenting with "the right gear", I now leave the house with one camera/lens, hood, close-up lens (screw-in), extra battery, and maybe small tripod with focusing rail attached. "He who travels lightest, travels fastest." or "Beware the man who only has one gun and uses it well".

I totally agree...

Agree with all the 'less is more' comments but would emphasize that extra batteries are a good idea...Almost a must if you snap a bunch and/or use fill-flash frequently. My 'essential' lightweight setup includes the following:

(1) GGS 3" screen protector (minimal degradation and preserves the screen)
(1) SanDisk Extreme 16gb SD card (the 30mb/sec version but would recommend the newer, faster ones)
(2) extra Maximal Power NP-50 batteries
(1) 40-46mm step-up ring with B+W MCUV 46mm filter (always on the camera)
(1) each B+W ND8 filter, IR 690 filter stacked in a metal filter cap
(1) Lenspen and cleaning cloth (stored in a small ziplock bag)

Everything above fits comfortably in a pair of cargo pants/shorts. When wearing jeans or dress pants, those items will fit but I often find them contending for room with my wallet, keys, phone, etc.

The camera itself is usually wrapped in a Gariz half case (adds height to the camera which I like for my medium sized hands, didn't get it for protection...I mean it only covers half the camera!), Gariz thumb strap (don't like how the thumbs up solutions cover the hot shoe) and occasionally the Gariz Gun Shot strap (when not housing the camera in my Crumpler 2 million case or messenger bag).

When I am toting a larger bag like my messenger, I'll bring my EF-X20 flash (get the EF-20 if you don't value/need the size, build or wireless capabilities of the X version), Canon knock-off TTL flash cable (for off-shoe use), WC-E68 wide-angle adaptor (makes the X10/20 a 19mm lens, also a 46mm thread), my old Biloret super compact tripod (for the camera), small gorilla pod (for the flash) and PowerGen Rapid Smart Charger (charges batteries for all my X-Cams, iPad and iPhone via AC or DC). And of course a variety of cables like USB, HDMI, etc.

My basic 'bug-out' X10 rig:

Camera in its' Fuji case
EF20 flash
Two Fujifilm batteries for the camera, two for the flash (rechargeable AA's)
Fujifilm battery charger
Marumi 40mm filters (Digital Clear installed, polarizer in the bag)
standard 6" cable release
spare Fuji 8-gig/Class 10 card
lens cleaner+tissue
. . . . packed in a small leather Fujifilm-branded bag from Amazon, about 15 bucks.

If need be, I have a vintage Vivitar 1240 tripod, plenty for the X10.

That covers everything for me. I like the EF20 for bounce, but I want the EFX-20 for its fashion statement, it will just look TOO cool on the X. I also have the EF42, but don't often use it on the X10: It looks like this little camera stuck on the bottom of this big flash ! And I do want to pick up the Canon off-camera cord, all I really need for this set-up.

When I head out, unless I'm specifically on assignment, I carry an X10 with a one-inch-wide Domke strap, a Marumi UV filter and JJC hood, and, in an inside pocket, two extra batteries. Inside pocket because it is winter and it's good for them to stay warm.

That's it. I've never needed a tripod, even when shooting outdoors at night, with the X10, nor a flash -- I don't even know if my X10 flash works, because I've never fired it. Nor a bag -- carrying a camera is just as easy, and lighter, than carrying a camera with a bag wrapped around it.

This will of course change soon; then "X20" will be substituted for everywhere above that it says "X10."

Get an extra battery and memory card(s). Go out and shoot; add items as the need arises. As far as camera bags go, it's best to try them out at a store before making any decisions (though I would spent the bare minimum on your first one).

Cweath,

congrats on your new X20. For aftermarket batteries, try Wasabi, cells are made in japan and I have never had any problems with this brand, they work great and you can get 2 for the price of one genuine Fuji, or one for 11.99 USD from amazon. You should have one extra battery, to go with the one in camera.

Enjoy the new camera
Dennis.

When I had the X10 I found one of the auto lens caps very useful. The included lens cap is very attractive, but I found I liked just turning the camera on and letting the cap open and close on its own -- like a real point and shoot!:rolleyes:

My X100 is up for sale, and if it does sell, I too will be getting an X20 -- and an auto lens cap.

Just ordered a Kaza case for my X20 after much deliberation. It appears to be a cracker of a case, but it's not cheap and it has to come from Hong Kong. Anyone else have one here?

My basic X20 kit includes:

1 – Thumbs Up grip
2 – Metal hand grip (item 321164562186 on eBay)
3 – Light Dims patch over the X20 logo on the front of the camera (no need to throw advertising in the subject’s face)
4 – Soft shutter release
5 – Fuji lens hood and filter adapter
6 – OP/TECH Envy camera strap (extremely comfortable)
7 – 52mm ND and polarizing filters
8 - Three extra batteries (not including the one in the camera) (essential if you're out all day)
9 - Two or three extra SDHC cards

Rick

Attachments

• x20.jpg
    x20.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,148
My basic X20 kit includes:

1 – Thumbs Up grip
2 – Metal hand grip (item 321164562186 on eBay)
3 – Light Dims patch over the X20 logo on the front of the camera (no need to throw advertising in the subject’s face)
4 – Soft shutter release
5 – Fuji lens hood and filter adapter
6 – OP/TECH Envy camera strap (extremely comfortable)
7 – 52mm ND and polarizing filters
8 - Three extra batteries (not including the one in the camera) (essential if you're out all day)
9 - Two or three extra SDHC cards

Rick

What is this plastic thing at the end of the strap? Looks like kind of protection against scratches...

Back