Essential programs for your PC - My take

Perhaps out of ignorance, I tend not to use backup programs whereby the backup needs to be "restored". I use (free) MS Synctoy because the backups it creates are straight copies of the files, so I can always simply copy the files back as needed.

I was running Win10 on a home-built 7-yr-ish-old desktop, but recently purchased a gaming laptop and elected to go Win11. The OS is somewhat different (versus 10) but I did not find it all that difficult to adjust, to be honest. There are some tweaks to make it more like 10 and earlier in terms of taskbar, context menus, etc. which I made use of, and a lot of the commands and shortcuts embedded in my head and fingers still work just fine. But though it was pretty smooth, upgrading is always painful, and I fully understand anyone who wants to avoid it as long as possible.

Irene - captureone.com says they support as far back as Windows 8 64-bit. There are still legit ways to get Windows 10 for free, if you wanted to upgrade so you could run the latest C1. I will say my recent hardware upgrade made C1 run much faster and smoother. I guess it was needed and I did not know it, for me anyway.

You know, I've used many of the programs mentioned so far, but I'm having trouble thinking of anything I consider essential nowadays. I rebuilt my desktop a little while back and I don't know that I've installed much of anything beyond image editing programs since. I find Windows 10 natively offers many of the things that serve my needs fairly well: Edge is clean and fast, Windows Photo Viewer is simple (and I use image editing programs to get more in-depth with my images), Windows security tools are usually enough to keep a computer clean and running well... I don't want to sound like a Windows fanboy, but I will say I think things are in a much more user-friendly place than they have been in a long time. Maybe Firefox and FastStone will get installed sometime, maybe not.
I agree, but it depends what you use your computer for. Different strokes for different folks. Some people torrent, steam alot etc. Nevermind po...o's But what you say is true. Keep 2 machines one for banking, personal emails etc. And one for "fun" Or install a rack system like I did. Just swap out the drive and you have a different computer. 1 Linux, 1 Server, etc....

I agree, but it depends what you use your computer for. Different strokes for different folks. Some people torrent, steam alot etc. Nevermind po...o's But what you say is true. Keep 2 machines one for banking, personal emails etc. And one for "fun" Or install a rack system like I did. Just swap out the drive and you have a different computer. 1 Linux, 1 Server, etc....
I definitely get that. I've played with my PC a lot more in the past, right now I need both the desktop and the laptop to function dependably with no hoops to jump through. At some point in the future, I'm sure I will customize the heck out of the desktop once more!

@Grinsaround and @Herbert Hound do you use the Defraggler program on SSD's also?
I am a bit reluctant to defrag an SSD as they have a limited amount of writes.
There's two parts to the Defraggler program. There's an "Optimiser" and a "Defragment". I used the optimiser (there's a quick optimiser option too) but when I tried the defragger it gave me a warning that this could cause problems down the line... so I didn't use it. The optimiser has made a difference... but I'm not sure what it's actually done.

There's two parts to the Defraggler program. There's an "Optimiser" and a "Defragment". I used the optimiser (there's a quick optimiser option too) but when I tried the defragger it gave me a warning that this could cause problems down the line... so I didn't use it. The optimiser has made a difference... but I'm not sure what it's actually done.
Back in the day, optimizers usually deleted old registry files which were left behind by sloppy uninstallers and the like. I don't know whether that's how it still works.

Back in the day, optimizers usually deleted old registry files which were left behind by sloppy uninstallers and the like. I don't know whether that's how it still works.
This page from Piriform explains what the optimiser function does... Clickety-click.

The defrag functions of Defraggler should not be used on solid-state drives since they may shorten the lifespan of these drives or even damage them outright while also having no impact on the drive's performance.

It also explains what the optimiser does and the TRIM function. The optimiser cleans out the left behind data from deleted files so new info can be written in one pass without having to clean the required space first.

Last edited:
@Grinsaround and @Herbert Hound do you use the Defraggler program on SSD's also?
I am a bit reluctant to defrag an SSD as they have a limited amount of writes.
I defrag my SSDs about once a year. Full, boot time defrag. However, the longevity of Kingston HyperfuryX and Samsung EVO SSDs are unlikely to be a problem, with destruction testing (format/write to full/reformat cycles until dead) of over 2 Petabytes before failure. Some SSDs fail routinely at less than 500 TB of this testing.

Both these drives use the TRIM function, and Seagate's patented write optimisation chip. IIRC, they are both hybrid drives, using system type RAM for caching prior to writing to the SSD proper.

Last edited:
I defrag my SSDs about once a year. Full, boot time defrag. However, the longevity of Kingston HyperfuryX and Samsung EVO SSDs are unlikely to be a problem, with destruction testing (format/write to full/reformat cycles until dead) of over 2 Petabytes before failure. Some SSDs fail routinely at less than 500 TB of this testing.

Both these drives use the TRIM function, and Seagate's patented write optimisation chip. IIRC, they are both hybrid drives, using system type RAM for caching prior to writing to the SSD proper.
Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of defragging an SSD?

Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit of defragging an SSD?
Andrew, like anything retrieved, there are always other system overheads involved with FETCH cycles to read and clock cycles to concatenate the data after reading and before use.

SCSI drives used to offload most (all?) of that pre and post processing from the CPU to the SCSI controller, along with elevator seeking, this made SCSI systems far faster. Another advantage was hot sector remapping of bad sectors/blocks on the same cylinder and platter.

Let's revive this dead horse!

• BitWarden - Password manager.
  • All My Notes - Note taking organizer
  • Scapple - simple mind mapping.
  • SnagIt - screen capture for both stills and video with editor
  • ExifTool Gui - Metadata editor for photos.
  • Yubico 2FA authenticator (both Hardware & Software)
  • Brave - a reasonably secure Chrome based Internet Browser
Security is really REALLY important, any more.

Interesting thread, here are my essentials:
  • 7-zip
  • Bitwarden
  • CCleaner
  • Cobian Backup
  • Directory Opus
  • Firefox
  • Foobar2000
  • Greenshot
  • ImgBurn
  • LibreOffice
  • Media Player Classic Home Cinema
  • MyPhoneExplorer
  • Notepad++
  • Thunderbird
DirOpus is probably the longest running. I did run version 4 on Amiga 500 back in the days. It was a must, really! :) but then on PC was a side-step towards Norton Commander, then nothing but the usual Windows Explorer. But then again, I rediscovered DirOpus when I had demanding needs a while ago. It has so good image viewer and related functions so it has actually replaced my long time favorite Image browser "Faststone Image Viewer". Sometimes I miss it but it starts to work without.

• Security - 1Password/ Little Snitch
  • Backup - Arq/ Chronosync
  • Finder - Defualt Folder
  • HD Maintenence - Onyx/ Omni Disk Sweeper
  • Photos - Adobe Suite/ Iridient Developer for Fuji files
  • Web Browsing - Google Translator for Firefox
  • Accounts/ Tax Returns - MS Office Suite & specifically Excel

Interesting seeing my software to note the following programs which were once essential, but no so much anymore:

• Carbon Copy Cloner/ Superduper
  • Launchbar/ Quicksilver
  • Eaglefiler
  • File Buddy
  • Unarchiver
  • Disk Warrior
  • Mailsteward

• Firefox
  • Emacs
  • Unix Terminal (WSL on Windows)
That's about it, really. That's the essentials.

Inside the terminal, there's borg for backups, and fish as my shell, and the odd Python script for everything else. Inside Firefox, there's uBlock Origin, pinboarder, and SponsorBlock. And I surf to Feedbin and Pinboard and Mailbox. Inside Emacs, there's my own org-journal, and a whole bunch of custom stuff.

Of course in practice, I go way beyond that. If you want to know more, here's more: OS Customization and MacOS

Back