Music Eurovision Song Contest

I'm genuinely a bit lost here. It sounds like most here are saying the performers are terrible. And yet, I'm also hearing that people really enjoy it.
We enjoy it because the performers are terrible. Then the occasional well-sung or well-written song really shines out and usually wins. If nothing stands out then the best of the Eastern European bloc will probably win as they all vote for each other.

The Netherlands entry - the "singers" are called "The Common Linnets" - what kind of name is that?

Dutch entry - sounds good - bit of US Country and Western in there somewhere

"The Common Linnets, Ilse DeLange and Waylon are two exceptional artists who have joined forces to work on a new album and to represent their country at the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest in Copenhagen with the song Calm After The Storm. In fact, the two recently travelled to Nashville, Tennesee in order to prepare for this honour"

It's good - should really get votes - but this is the Eurovison and some Eastern European psudo democratic republic will win - Moldovian, F Y R Macedonia or The Russians

another country that cannot sing in its own language

But this is my favourite - from my "adopted" home - La Belle France

at least they are "singing" - (if that's what they dare to call it), in some funny language

Verka Serducka, Dustin the Turkey, Lordi, Dana International, Guildo Horn, Alf Poier, Fredi & Friends, Winny Puhh.

Here's a nice little compilation for those of you denied the privilege of growing up with Eurovision:

So bad it's brilliant.

olli

when the aliens invade from outer space land - we don't need weapons - just play them this compilation - scare them to hell

a true classic work of art - they are all unique - everyone should listen …….. the sad thing is that I remember most of them ………. bring back Terry Wogan

I've only been to Estonia once ……. on the boat from Helsinki ………. with a load of Fins who introduced me to aquavit straight from the freezer - so don't remember too much about the place or the Estonians!!!

Excellent "quality of video", Bill. So far from your entries posted, my vote goes to Conchita!

Truth be told, I do like The Common Linnets quite a bit, but then I'm a little bit country myself.;) I keep thinking a Common Linnet is a kind of bird who likes the water....

BB -nice to hear from you

Here's a couple of "Common Linnets" (in French "Linotte mélodieuse" sounds better)- I don't think that they like water - don't think that you have them "over the pond"

apologises for the quality of the images

Lin_1.jpg

Lin_2.jpg

Excellent "quality of video", Bill. So far from your entries posted, my vote goes to Conchita!

Truth be told, I do like The Common Linnets quite a bit, but then I'm a little bit country myself.;) I keep thinking a Common Linnet is a kind of bird who likes the water....

I think "Conchita" is great but Sweden have done their usual trick, distracting the male voters from the song

Photo galleries

and according to her Bio "[FONT=ProximaNova-Regular, sans-serif]But Sanna also thrives during her stripped-down concerts on smaller stages as this is where she can really convey a unique feeling and personality to each individual track." ……… "well I ask you" as Frankie Howard used to say!!![/FONT]

Thank you, Bill - you're correct we do not have this exact finch, however we do have quite a few others. Perhaps my memory banks were commingling and I was thinking of our Atlantic Horseshoe Crab Limulus polyphemus?

Oops, I had completely missed Sanna! Perhaps she can do a few songs for the next Hobbit movie? For some of the etherial faeries, of course.

I think "Conchita" is great but Sweden have done their usual trick, distracting the male voters from the song

Photo galleries

and according to her Bio "[FONT=ProximaNova-Regular, sans-serif]But Sanna also thrives during her stripped-down concerts on smaller stages as this is where she can really convey a unique feeling and personality to each individual track." ……… "well I ask you" as Frankie Howard used to say!!![/FONT]

Well Poland have gone for the dirty old man vote...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The Eurovision has been a regular source of amusement for the world for many, many years. And yes, we do see it in Australia, by watching our international channel SBS. Here's a taste of the frivolities:

But wait, there's more!

I remember an incredibly woeful entrant from the 90's or early 2000's, it might have been Latvia or Lithuania, but it was a truly ghastly performance.

OK so how did the UK do.... ? I dare not look! :D

Conchita - a very worthy winner - fantastic song and presentation - Europe at its very best

Dutch 2nd
Swedes 3rd

Poland 14th
UK = 17th

France 26th ……… that means LAST ……. we watched part of it with our french neighbours -teach them to sing in French!!!!

The Eurovision Song Contest is over for another year but it gave us some incredible memories.
Conchita Wurst - an Austrian drag queen - won with a boatload of points and made Eurovision fans the world over sob with joy at her victory.
Our very own Molly may not have won, but she did pull out all the stops and provided an incredible performance, while Sweden's Sanna Nielsen can finally Undo her own sad (that's a play on a lyric in case you weren't paying attention) as her performance was utterly enchanting.

Back