Ever felt the need to help a fellow photog out?

mike3996

Legend
There was this photographer, looked like a street photographer. There I was strolling my way towards his. I had the sudden urge to jump over any puddle there might have been -- unfortunately there wasn't one.

You ever felt the need to help a fellow out with providing subject matter? It's still candid and honest as he doesn't know what you're about to do!

On a perhaps unrelated note, I finally subscribed here, helping the way I can.

I tried to get other local photographers interested in a club or some loosely organized peer group. Zero takers. What was even more surprising was the lack of replies to my phone calls, emails or facebook posts. Local photogs comment on others facebook posts, but no direct answers to "hey, let's get together sometime."

That was a year ago. Recently another photographer moved to the area and started a FB group for local photographers. It managed to get over 30 members early on, but only a few participate and mostly it's just to post a pic or 3 and very little, if any, discussion. Membership hasn't increased after the initial growth spurt and posting has slowed (incl. my own participation).

I get the feeling there is some kind of competition for individual attention and the fear that getting together will reveal closely held secrets - or that one might discover they have been doing something wrong all along and be forced to face it. I would jump at the chance to learn new techniques, discover old or just enjoy the company of others who have similar interests.

Sad to hear. I guess these people don't like other photog's pictures either. Can't get an adversary a free like just like that. Who knows, he might win the game?! :)

I tried to get other local photographers interested in a club or some loosely organized peer group. Zero takers. What was even more surprising was the lack of replies to my phone calls, emails or facebook posts. Local photogs comment on others facebook posts, but no direct answers to "hey, let's get together sometime."

That was a year ago. Recently another photographer moved to the area and started a FB group for local photographers. It managed to get over 30 members early on, but only a few participate and mostly it's just to post a pic or 3 and very little, if any, discussion. Membership hasn't increased after the initial growth spurt and posting has slowed (incl. my own participation).

I get the feeling there is some kind of competition for individual attention and the fear that getting together will reveal closely held secrets - or that one might discover they have been doing something wrong all along and be forced to face it. I would jump at the chance to learn new techniques, discover old or just enjoy the company of others who have similar interests.

I've been shooting now for around 25 years. 11 of those years professionally.

This might not be an easy thing to hear, but I find that a lot of the people that call themselves photographers tend to be self centered, narcissistic, jerk bags.

I know I can be at times and was a bigger one in my youth. I've taught myself to be less of that, but it is not an easy road.

There are a few out there, here on the forums that you can tell are all about helping others and being friendly. You can also tell which ones are all about themselves and what they can get.

So many are taught the wrong things and once something is learned, it is difficult to near impossible for some to unlearn those negative thoughts, ideas or habits.

I find, too that is to get more than, say 5 photographers together without a clear and structured agenda, things degenerate quickly.
That is one of the major reasons I stopped trying to find a camera club to attend. I'd rather go out with a fellow shooter or 3 from time to time. Get some clicks in and have a nice conversion over a few drinks/tacos.

Last edited:
This might not be an easy thing to hear, but I find that a lot of the people that can themselves photographers tend to be self centered, narcissistic, jerk bags.

I find this to be true more often than not. And most of the time, their work isn't all that great. I've met photographers here who are all about trying to maintain a rock star type image than about actually shooting and doing the work. And while some of them gain a decent following. All of them are constantly broke, constantly posting trying to get work while also posting excuses for why they haven't delivered work they were already paid for. Not making the connection that they're social media followers aren't hiring them. And that they are making a bad reputation with the people who were hiring them.

If rather go out with fellow shooter or 3 from time to time. Get some clicks in and have a nice conversion over a few drinks/tacos.

I do the same thing. I've met and become friends with photographers who don't have egos. Aren't trying to be popular. And shoot for the love of shooting. Explore, wander, shoot, mexican food/drinks. Perfect formula.

To be fair, I don’t need to be holding a camera to be a bit of a butt face. I just need to be breathing.

When it comes to photography - I’ve never really been interested in the technical side of cameras so have nothing to say in these types of conversations with other photographers.

When it comes to photographs - I know what I like when I see it. But I don’t feel confident in telling someone why I like or don’t like what I see. Actually, confident probably isn’t the right word, because sometimes I just don’t know. I go with my gut feeling really. My gut isn’t always right. Lots of successful photographs out there that leave me cold and scratching my head. That doesn’t make them bad photographs, it just means they are not for me.

Going out to shoot with other photographers isn’t really my thing either. I like to wander around on my own without distractions. Photography is my way to unwind. Can’t do that trying to keep up a conversation with them or if I feel that they are watching me/I’m on show.

As to helping fellow photographers out that I meet on the street ... nah, I try to stay out their way. Unless I’m impatient to get somewhere then I just get in their way! Sometimes I just like to get in their way anyway!

I guess I’m not just a butt face, I’m an anti-social butt face. Maybe lots of other photographers are too?

That all said, if you are in Edinburgh, give me a shout. Wouldn’t say no to tacos! Though I do prefer Chinese/Japanese food, and it’s got to be vegan these days! Got to do my bit for the planet!

Lexington has a fairly active photography club. I never joined because i’m a bit of an introvert but I have been thinking about it lately.

Last edited:
I have lots of opportunities to be social and extrovert in my professional life. I don’t say too much, but close to the limit.

When seeing world through my camera, I have ‘right’ to be on my own. Even when being on vacation with the family I steel some moments for myself.

This forum (and one other) are the only channels where I share even a bit my photography. And I enjoy seeing your pictures as well.

I’ve done my part teaching photography when in military service. I run a club there and ‘recruited’ young men to use camera and learn to develop films and paper. To do that now, makes me shiver :D

Long story short: I don’t have a need to help fellow photographer out. But sometimes I can’t resist the temptation 🤣

I have done a couple local photo walks....only because I love photography....not because I love hanging out with complete strangers. In general they went well. I think people liked me (as much as one can like a stranger). I was uncomfortable. Taking photos was fun. But the concept of doing a solitary pursuit (like photography) with a group (even a few people) seemed counter-intuitive.

I could obviously be wrong, but I feel like photographers are generally introverts.....meets are for extroverts.

Always remember trying to take a long exposure on a tripod at night after I got a DSLR and being just a tad frustrated after previously being used to mirrorless cameras. Then this taxi driver on a break came over, took an interest in my camera, told me he'd recently bought a Nikon like me, saw what I was trying to do, had a look at the lighting conditions then suggested I expose to the right. When this sort of thing happens and the person who comes over is genuinely interested (in this case, looking to momentarily get a brief escape from his everyday job), it's actuially a very nice thing.

I very much am an introvert but I find I work well on the streets if accompanied by a peer. If by myself, I give up too easily and call it a day! All these great youtube channels (Samuel L Streetlife, BigHeadTaco and many others) inspire towards this a big deal.

To that end, I'm participating in these photography community courses to see if I can network that much as to get contacts. Time will tell.

Back