Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
Every photograph you've ever admired was taken with past equipment, not the thing you're waiting for someone to announce.

Live in the Present | Sans Mirror — mirrorless, interchangeable lens cameras | Thom Hogan

Sometimes I like to imagine that I have all the lenses and all the cameras ever made. Then I realize that the decision involved in picking out the right tool to make the picture in my head, is a project in itself.

Then I end up appreciating my X100 a bit more :D

I look back at images and wish I still had that set up and had never sold it. I am now keeping my stuff longer and am going to try and not buy every new fangled camera that comes out!! I have the X100 which I Love. The image quality is superb so that's a keeper. The D3100 is a fab little DSLR and I'm just being careful that I buy the right lenses for it. I will buy the Panasonic LX6 (or whatever it will be called) when it's released as I can get it free from Panasonic!! It will be interesting to see how long I last with this set up!

lots of truth in that article, we can't be told often enough it seems. I must say I'm not looking for a camera to improve on, for instance, the E-M5, which I think would be very close to my perfect system camera if I could afford it, with good enough image quality. The only two things I am waiting for, are real compacts (max LX5 / EX1 sized) with better high-ISO performance (ISO 800 is hit and miss, mostly miss, regarding IQ on my EX1) or more wide angle, and rugged cameras with better image quality, raw support and better manual control. For now, I'm still very happy with my EX1 :)

Sometimes I like to imagine that I have all the lenses and all the cameras ever made. Then I realize that the decision involved in picking out the right tool to make the picture in my head, is a project in itself.

It's a slippery slope. I've limited it to "the Sonnars every made" and the key 50mm lenses of the 1950s. And Nikon bodies. Nikon M no-synch through to the F3AF. Nikon E3 and D1 digital.

Easy for him to say "stop lusting after new cameras" when his desk is covered in ALL of the newest cameras from this year. I well understand that new cameras won't make my photos better. But using the ones that I already have isn't doing it either. :D

I've found it gets a bit confusing when I use more than 2 or 3 different cameras at the same time. Damn menus! For now, I'm sticking to two digital and one film body and fully intend not to buy any more cameras for the foreseeable future.

Lenses, well that's another story... A couple of gaps for my M set up need to be filled...24mm or 21mm Elmar for sale anybody?

Cheers,

Antonio

I just like machinery. All kinds. So, I'll probably never be completely satisfied with what I now, or will have. Too bad! And what I now have, does a very good job, if I do my part.

I do like to use only one camera at a time. Helps me not be so confused. :confused:

Back