Everyone is suddenly worried about my data.

Then I don't understand the logic of opposing the GDPR.

I support the GDPR. Overall, I think it is a good and necessary regulation. I do think it has a couple flaws, namely the max fines and how they define consent which is given "freely".

Having worked with computers for over 42 years- the amount of progress made is a huge disappointment to me. They are more for entertainment and advertising than anything else. AI is a joke compared to what people thought it would be 50 years ago. Almost 40 years ago I told my soon to be Boss on the Interview, "If I get offered a job writing code for a HAL 9000, I'll probably be out of here." The job was to write code for a first-generation Vector Supercomputer. I've since used some of the vector instructions of that machine implemented into FPGA for a custom processing board.

Writing better code- given the quality of most software these days, hitting keystrokes at random could do better. Modern OS's are memory hogs, cycle inefficient, and unstable. Unstable defined as the Updates sent out by the vendor "bricking" many of the computers they intended to fix. But- as an entertainment machine, I can log onto this website, run Lightroom, and listen to music on Youtube while I write code on my real machines. AI vs NS, AI does not stand a chance. A funny saying from 1979.

What happens is that the more popular the code is, the more likely it becomes a target. Operating Systems are a perfect example. MacOS, Windows, iOS, Android - all malicious actor targets precisely because of their ubiquity. Open Source tried to mitigate that, but underestimated the greed in criminality, and overestimated the common sense of the average user. :D

AI is quietly re-writing computing utility. We're probably still at the "left shoulder" of the Development Curve; everything is still in it's infancy. I've been involved with a couple of Commercial AI implementations with IBM Watson, and it's partly impressive, and laughable at the same time. But the ability of the AI to LEARN is both amazing and frightening. All it needs is more Data. Granted, not raw data, it has to be somewhat structured, but still - the ability to start drawing very accurate inferences of current situation is VERY GOOD now. What needs work is the ability to FORECAST, but that is getting better every day, literally.

So the AI, plus all the data we leak (willingly or not) is part of a larger convergence where our information not only is persistent, but is constantly being evaluated and in some cases, used to make decisions for us, both at a personal, and intimidatingly to some, at a socio-economic and political level.

Given I have children ranging from one who's about to be married, to one who just got out of elementary school - the challenge for them will be to understand how to control their data leakage and still move society forward - because like it or not, the engines of change are nothing that can be stopped - and that change will involve more and more data use and re-use. How it is used, to make the world better, is part of their burden as well as ours.

Back