Leica EVF Leica X

Hap

Top Veteran
I just missed out on a well priced Vario with case, grip, and Oly EVF 2. I am looking at a regular X without a finder. However, I would not invest in a Leica EVF given the cost. I am not certain that the Olympus EVF 2...which is reasonably priced used, will work satisfactory on an X, even though some use it on their Vario.

Any users out there with strong or otherwise opinions? I don't think I would want to use the LCD, too near and far sighted.

Well...I sort of answered my question. After digging around the net...it's clear there is no cut rate solution to an EVF for the X as there is for the X2 and the Vario. X requires a different LCD panel and Visoflex 020...which is ridiculously priced at 500$.

Perhaps Dale....who uses a an X-U can give some opinion of his experience with that LCD...in a sea of cameras that have EVF's , even built in. I have assumed all along that my eyes are just not suited to photography with an LCD.

For value for money go for an X2 with the Olympus EVF - that combination must be 95% or more as good as the newer X (113). Actually I think the only non-cosmetic upgrade from the X2 to the X is the LCD screen resolution.

If you want the new camera you have to cough up for the new EVF.
Or trade down to a D-Lux or up to a Q, both of which have built in viewfinders.

For value for money go for an X2 with the Olympus EVF - that combination must be 95% or more as good as the newer X (113). Actually I think the only non-cosmetic upgrade from the X2 to the X is the LCD screen resolution.

What you suggest makes sense. One might make the case that lx100 and other Panasonic derivatives are 95 % of the Leica counterparts at price fraction.

The X-U LCD is pretty small, and I can't imagine using it unless I was nearsighted (which I am) or used reading glasses. I would expect the regular X to be the same. I don't remember the X1 exactly, but I would expect the X1/X2/X-E screens to be worse.

The real difference is the lens. A 23mm f/1.7 that focuses very close c ok pared to a 24mm f/2.8 that doesn't. Both are excellent, but the 113 has clearly better glass.

The real difference is the lens. A 23mm f/1.7 that focuses very close c ok pared to a 24mm f/2.8 that doesn't. Both are excellent, but the 113 has clearly better glass.

Totally agree. I confused the X-E and the X (and replied from memory rather than checking - dangerous)

I recently encountered a deal on a used x2, including evf (olympus.) The Olympus evf is more than adequate. I am not certain if the Leica evf is substantially better, but, in my opinion, the Olympus is good. If I recall correctly, in it's day (not that long ago) the Olympus VF-2 was considered the best evf available.

Oh yeah. camera, Leica case, four batteries, Oly evf, and Leica external flash (Leica SF24D) for under $1K. it included the box and all manuals too. I did not need it but..........you know.

I recently encountered a deal on a used x2, including evf (olympus.) The Olympus evf is more than adequate. I am not certain if the Leica evf is substantially better, but, in my opinion, the Olympus is good. If I recall correctly, in it's day (not that long ago) the Olympus VF-2 was considered the best evf available.

I'd jump on that as long as everything is 100 percent. As best I remember both EVF's were comparable.

Back