Nikon Excellent detailed review of the Nikon V1 and J1

The Nikon V1 jpg and raw comparison photos in DPreview's compare-o-meter are up. The noise control of the V1 in high ISO looks very good, even in raw. It looks better than any m4/3 camera, including the GH2 and G3. Although I suspect that Nikon might be applying some noise reduction in raw. Just my speculation though.

Seems like a decent camera, just not what I was expecting, nor wanting. I'm currently without a compact camera with anything smaller than the four thirds sensor and am not missing it one bit. Canon? APS-C mirrorless? Your old sparring partner just left the door wide open...

As for the DLux 5 ... hehehe ... Dad has a DLux3. Or maybe it's a DLux2. It's the last year they used the F2.8 lens. Really thought about getting the X1 for him, but I kept reading about the super slow AF. So at the end, I figured that the DLux 5 would have to hold him over until I get the M10 and pass the M9 to him. Was looking for a M8 as well, but couldn't find a good condition one that was still somewhat affordable. Right before I bought the Dlux5, I also thought about the Nikon J1/V1 for Dad. But, it doesn't have a red dot. Plus, it would conflict with the GH2 he already has.

Look forward to seeing your tests of the Nikon 1's. It does appear that I underestimated the quality and the pro's of the camera.

Quite a few very serious guys have shelved their M9s (sold them, or put them on the back burner) and gotten themselves a NEX-5N, a M Mount adapter, and, preferable with a FDA-EV1S viewfinder, and just loving it!

Well, I have no M9, but a NEX-5N, and put my K5 on the shelf, using a K Mount adapter, and Pentax lenses (till the new lenses arrive - not that impressed by the Sony E Mount kit lenses). Sadly, the FDA-EV1S is for the time being unobtainable, due to the flooding of Sony's factory in central Thailand, but the secondary factory, south of Bangkok, is now starting producing the cameras (the A77, the NEX-5N, and the NEX-7), so hopefully, the viewfinders will also be back in production soon, so we'll get our viewfinders before next year's vacation!

Nice photos Retow. Great detail on the mule photo. And great depth of color on the flower.

BB/Don/Amin, I think it's time for a sub forum for the Nikon 1's! Although I am afraid that the primary users of the Nikon 1 cameras are probably not the folks that go to photo forums and post photos. Hope I am wrong though.

I am not in the market for another camera as I still have plenty of pixels left to abuse in the ones I have, but if was in need this would I would be very interested in the J1 or V1 with a strong leaning toward the V1

I wasn't in the market, either, but I bought a V1 to the wife, who instead opted for the OM-D (her loss). Anyway, I must say it has taken me with storm - after just a few weeks it has for all but low light photography replaced my Pentax K-5, that now feels big and cumbersome, and yet it is quite small being a semi-Pro DSLR!

The picture quality is not bad, rather amazingly good, considering the tiny sensor: Some unnamed birds + a BIF !: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Or why not this: Peregrine falcon and white stork: Nikon 1 System Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

which should I get guys - the V1 or the J1

all I want it for is to stick it on my Nikon AFS lens and take images of birds

The V1 is £200 more expensive than the J1, and I'll need the FT1 adapter which is £200

not sure that I need the VF facility on the V1 and cannot see that having a mechanical shutter will do me much good

what I need is spot exposure - spot focus - focus lock - AV mode and a quick way to change the ISO

I reckon the J1 will be OK

Is there anyway to record sound whilst taking still shots?

what do you think?

(I may as well get the 10 30 as it seems to come bundled - what about the 30 110 - any good)

I have read most of the reviews

Personally, I prefer VFs, and the V1 EVF is a good one. Plus, overall the camera is a better size for my hands (I also use the grip). The battery lasts a very long time (and it is shared with most Nikon DSLRs if you have one). On the performance side it is said to be (slightly) better than the J1, but I cannot verify that as I've never tried the J1. I also use the V1 flash.

The V1 is a better system camera if that makes sense. And for your purpose I think it would be easier to hold for shooting birds, easier to stabilize. I think the grip could make a difference too.

The V1 is small, but there's a point where smaller becomes too small. Any smaller than the V1 and I'd rather use a P&S. For your intended purpose I'd say the J1 is too small.

I concur with needing a VF or EVF. i am 43 yo and starting to have trouble reading things close up. Never thought this day would come. Focusing with an LCD screen at arms length just so i can see it is ridiculous for me.

Back