Fuji Excellent news for macro fans (updated)

Yep, there was some discussion about doing or not doing this due to a potential loss of IQ. I'm definitely getting those rings.

I have the 60mm, and an Olympus 50mm Macro, with OM extension tubes at the moment, to get to 1:1. I'll definitely get the MC-EX16 but I'll not get rid of the Olympus until it proves itself. Ironically, I am writing an article about this as I type.

...now all I need is a 1.4x teleconverter and I'm happy...

Sorry, I don't know anything about this. You'll have to ask Fujifilm or Zeiss. I very much doubt that it works with the 12mm. It may be useful on the 50mm to get a bit over 1:1.

Excellent news for macro fans

This is outstanding news. This adds a lot of versatility for close focus with almost all lenses and significantly increases the capability of macro lenses.

Compatibility with Zeiss is in Fuji's interest. They make a bigger profit on tubes than lenses. Few who would pay the premium on Zeiss 50mm would be swayed by "still less than 1:1 while using tubes" if magnification was the main reason. And it is only one factor. We will know soon enough.

IQ remains to be seen. Lenses not optimized for close focus and flat fields (non-macro lenses) are going to be pushed when put on tubes. But my guess is the results will be fine for most purposes and they might be very good.

The 18-55mm, already a very versatile lens, goes to almost 1:1 at the wide end and a still impressive almost 1:2 at the long end! Granted, the working distance is incredibly small at this point :). This also gives you image stabilization for handheld work such as butterflies.

It would be nice to know if they can be stacked. It would also be nice to see the longest working distance and shooting distance for each combination included on the table.

In some ways, this is more exciting for the non-macro lenses. Imagine all the possibilities this adds with something small enough to slip in a pocket.

I can't wait to see how it works with the 35mm.

It remains to be seen how quality may or may not be an issue with the rings ans different lenses. It appears that Fuji and Zeiss have been parting ways.

Back