Fuji Excellent X100S review.

I meant to comment on this one when it was posted - it is indeed one of the better reviews I've seen, and much more accurate/balanced than most.

On the one hand, if I'd seen this before I bought mine, I might have held off knowing the AF still wasn't stellar especially in low light. On the other, I am still enjoying the X100S for other reasons, so maybe it's a plus I didn't see this first :D

I meant to comment on this one when it was posted - it is indeed one of the better reviews I've seen, and much more accurate/balanced than most.

On the one hand, if I'd seen this before I bought mine, I might have held off knowing the AF still wasn't stellar especially in low light. On the other, I am still enjoying the X100S for other reasons, so maybe it's a plus I didn't see this first :D

I think I fall into the camp that doesn't mind the AF at all, even in low light, in fact I think it's really very good. When I got the camera I was expecting it to be really difficult to work with in low light but to be honest, I don't find it frustrating to AF in such conditions, I mean sure, it's not lightning quick to lock on like say my E-M5 + PL25 (I swear that combo 'sees in the dark' to coin the phrase)...but even though it'll take a fraction longer and might miss a lock every so often I think the X100S is really quite good, certainly better than some of the worst reports suggested it would be.

To put it another way, the speed and reliability of it's AF thus far have NOT got in the way of my shooting in any way.

I think I fall into the camp that doesn't mind the AF at all, even in low light, in fact I think it's really very good. When I got the camera I was expecting it to be really difficult to work with in low light but to be honest, I don't find it frustrating to AF in such conditions, I mean sure, it's not lightning quick to lock on like say my E-M5 + PL25 (I swear that combo 'sees in the dark' to coin the phrase)...but even though it'll take a fraction longer and might miss a lock every so often I think the X100S is really quite good, certainly better than some of the worst reports suggested it would be.

To put it another way, the speed and reliability of it's AF thus far have NOT got in the way of my shooting in any way.

I'll have to shoot you a PM so we can compare settings just in case there's something we're doing differently.

I don't know if individual units differ or what, but in my experience it definitely gets in the way. Slowness wouldn't be so bad by itself, but I get a decent number of failures to lock, even in good light sometimes. I have witnesses to that effect from yesterday's SeriousCompacts meetup so it's definitely not my imagination either. That said, I still enjoy the camera and I got a bunch of good shots from it just yesterday :) I'm not complaining per se, it's just the one major niggle that keeps this from going from "good camera" to "killer camera" for me.

I'm in Joe's camp on the AF. My X100S is not OM-D fast ... but then what really is ... it is fast enough for the vast majority of shots and it is acceptable accurate.

-G-

Back