Fuji Excited for the X-E2!

jloden

All-Pro
Name
Jay
Who's excited for the X-E2? I didn't think this would be that compelling to me and I figured on just keeping my X-E1 and skipping a generation, but it looks like I'll be picking one up after all.

I'm really most excited about the Auto-ISO improvements and AEL-AFL changes personally. Those will be huge for me. The addition of the LMO to an ILC camera is pretty cool, and I'm interested in seeing the AF performance improvements as well. Wifi isn't something I use much at the moment but I like the remote control feature so I'm looking forward to that appearing in a future FW update too. Be nice if that obviates the need for buying an expensive RR-90 remote... ;)

Not an earth-shattering update, but looks like a solid refresh by Fuji!

I like the upgrades on the XE1. Just don't know if I like it enough for an additional $400 over the current XE1 pricing. Plus, the ever looming XPro2 ...

I'll probably pick up either the XA1 or XM1 this weekend.

I, too, thought I would be skipping the X-E2 and keep my X-E1 but the few changes really did make it look appealing.
What I probably will ended up doing is keeping my X-E1 and then getting an X-Pro 2 whenever that comes out.
Having an X-E1 and X-E2 is too redundant to me, with the X-Pro 2 my current X-E1 can become a good trusty backup!

I preordered this morning at 6:30 AM. Hoping I get the first wave from B&H. I wasn't planning on upgrading, but I'll be darned if this doesn't fix almost every little nitpick I have on the X-E1. If anyone is interested in an X-E1 when the X-E2s ship, drop me a line!

This was my cons list in my review:
Autofocus is slower than competitors and can sometimes fail to find focus at all in lower light. With firmware 2.0, these issues have been remedied. Focus is still slower than competitors, but not too far behind, and low light focusing has been dramatically improved. Improved autofocus speed with all lenses...awesome!
Continuous Autofocus is unusable for tracking action Looks like this should be MUCH improved with PDAF
Some shutter lag Shutter lag is now 0.05 sec, which is great.
Can’t zoom the viewfinder for manual focus when the camera is writing to a card This is fixed in the X-E2...I knew it would be since it was fixed on the X-M1, but still...
Camera’s build quality, while generally good, has some minor issues with fit and finish Hoping my X-E2 doesn't have the little fit and finish issues, though I have essentially forgotten about this in use.
Viewfinder can get laggy in low lightFixed in X-E2! Low light refresh goes to 60fps from 20.
Rear LCD is too dim in bright sunlightBig improvement in rear LCD...the X-M1's screen is so much better than the X-E1's...this looks to be a similar panel.
Some minor funkiness still possible with very high detail repeating patterns in some RAW conversion software, though much improved over even a month ago. Well, what are you gonna do. :) For scenes that have X-Trans issues in ACR, I use Capture One, which does a great job.
Tripod socket and battery door can get in the way.This is still there, but since I now have the iShoot l-bracket/grip, it's a non-issue, since that clears the door.

Plus, we get digital split image and the speed improvements from the X-M1 (which are significant), plus WiFi (which is a big deal to me...I love being able to transfer my X-M1 files to my phone and share immediately...I always get bummed when I shoot my X-E1 and can't do it). Nice!

you can just use any canon comparible remote with the mic input, see my column on remote shutter release. ;) no need to get an rr-90 device.

That's what I'm doing, Jay. I have my Aputure radio remotes set up with Canon cables and it works great with the X-E1 and will with the X-E2 as well.

I don't remember reading this anywhere, but did fuji add wifi remote shooting with the new
X-E2?

No, but they are planning to in the future. The system has apparently that capability, but it's not yet implemented. Rico covered that in his excellent introduction to the X-E2 over on FujiRumors.

It's a great update but I'm still on the fence.

* I love the wifi option, especially if the firmware update comes off. It's cool on the XA1. Plus it's an easy way to add geotagging as well.
* Wish it had an articulating screen. Bummer.
* No improvements to the flash system and still no option to put FEC to one of the Fn buttons.
* No word on low light AF improvements, especially with the premium zooms.
* +/- 3 stops on the exposure comp dial is great.
* Same horrible on/off switch which always catches in my bag.
* faster opperation and playback is greatly appreciated.
* The menus are Ok. Not good or bad for me.
* Tripod mount is dissapointing. I'm a big tripod user.

I'm 60/40 going to get one. But not until I see the low light AF with the 18-55. If it's good (read: *Close* to the EM5 in low light) then I'll probably move away from m4/3 to this. If not then I'll hold off on any future purchases (especially with the SOny also coming out).

Decisions. Decisions.

Gordon

It's a great update but I'm still on the fence.

* I love the wifi option, especially if the firmware update comes off. It's cool on the XA1. Plus it's an easy way to add geotagging as well.
* Wish it had an articulating screen. Bummer.
* No improvements to the flash system and still no option to put FEC to one of the Fn buttons.
* No word on low light AF improvements, especially with the premium zooms.
* +/- 3 stops on the exposure comp dial is great.
* Same horrible on/off switch which always catches in my bag.
* faster opperation and playback is greatly appreciated.
* The menus are Ok. Not good or bad for me.
* Tripod mount is dissapointing. I'm a big tripod user.

I'm 60/40 going to get one. But not until I see the low light AF with the 18-55. If it's good (read: *Close* to the EM5 in low light) then I'll probably move away from m4/3 to this. If not then I'll hold off on any future purchases (especially with the SOny also coming out).

Decisions. Decisions.

Gordon

Agreed on everything except the on-off switch, I've never had that happen myself. However I imagine it has a ton to do with how you pack or carry your cameras too. Oh and the articulating screen... I don't really get excited about those on a camera (or lack thereof) though I do use it on my GH3. That's a 'take it or leave it' item for me I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tripod mount though - are you talking about it being off-centered? If that's the case, I'd be curious to know why it's considered a major detriment. I've noticed other people mention it but I'm not sure in what way it's a negative in use?

Also, if that's a biggie for you you might consider something like the iShoot grip. I bought one for my X-E1 and it's permanently on the camera now. Not only does it add a bigger, comfortable grip, it also adds an L-plate (ARCA compat) for sideways tripod use, and it moves the tripod mount to the center. I like it for the simple reason that it allows me to use my Capture plate without blocking the battery/SD card door now. And even if you have no interest in the added grip or L plate, both are removable leaving just the small bottom plate that moves the tripod mount to center.

No, but they are planning to in the future. The system has apparently that capability, but it's not yet implemented. Rico covered that in his excellent introduction to the X-E2 over on FujiRumors.

I hope they implement via firmware, I'm shocked this is not included at release time. Sony, Panny, Oly has it and I think this is a miss on fuji's part not to have it at release. Just sayin...otherwise, the cam looks to be a decent upgrade, not great, but decent.

I hope they implement via firmware, I'm shocked this is not included at release time. Sony, Panny, Oly has it and I think this is a miss on fuji's part not to have it at release. Just sayin...otherwise, the cam looks to be a decent upgrade, not great, but decent.

It's interesting that so many users want new and more "computer" features, while so many other users complain about already too many features ("face recognition is evil" etc.), while others again complained about the cameras offering the wrong features ("who needs dynamic range settings, I shoot RAW!") . I have even read suggestions for Fuji to add configuration options to configure the configuration, basically metamenus. Yes, really, I read it just yetserday. It will be interesting to see how Fuji decides to bring all these diverging demands together. They will probably lose everybody, because nobody will be happy.

I am also interested in how Fuji intends to make those happy who stated that they would never ever buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen and those who said that they would only buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen. I guess Fuji needs to offer each new model in 2 hardware versions?

It's also interesting to read about "Fuji being the new Leica", being retro, being different, only offering the essentials and how great all this is. Some users even want a monochrome X-Pro1 (there are disturbingly long threads where this is seriously discussed), a "full-frame" X-Pro with M mount etc., but they also want wifi remote control, multipoint tracking hybrid AF and whatnot. IIRC, Leica has none of these features. Actually, Leica doesn't have anything, at all. So how is all this supposed to merge into one Fuji product everybody likes?

Excellent points, and the reason why the best products are designed by visionaries, not committees. My dear sweet little grey haired old mother used to say that one should. "...never eat, wear or drive anything named by a committee", and she was right.

Me, I fall into the "simpler and more direct is better" camp. It's no good the Technos saying "you don't need to use that feature" or "you can always turn it off" - I have paid for it, and it adds to the complexity of my camera, both in terms of handling and more fundamentally, in firmware complexity, which impacts stability and support and maintenance. An articulating screen adds that complexity, plus bulk and mechanical complexity. My idea of hell would be no EVF, just an articulated touchscreen... :mad:

I don't know the answer. But I do know that I have used Leica M for over 20 years, and today, for 90% of my shooting, I get the same mixture of enjoyment, functionality, emotional connection and performance from my X-E1 with native and legacy glass...

Sent from another Galaxy

It's interesting that so many users want new and more "computer" features, while so many other users complain about already too many features ("face recognition is evil" etc.), while others again complained about the cameras offering the wrong features ("who needs dynamic range settings, I shoot RAW!") . I have even read suggestions for Fuji to add configuration options to configure the configuration, basically metamenus. Yes, really, I read it just yetserday. It will be interesting to see how Fuji decides to bring all these diverging demands together. They will probably lose everybody, because nobody will be happy.

I am also interested in how Fuji intends to make those happy who stated that they would never ever buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen and those who said that they would only buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen. I guess Fuji needs to offer each new model in 2 hardware versions?

It's also interesting to read about "Fuji being the new Leica", being retro, being different, only offering the essentials and how great all this is. Some users even want a monochrome X-Pro1 (there are disturbingly long threads where this is seriously discussed), a "full-frame" X-Pro with M mount etc., but they also want wifi remote control, multipoint tracking hybrid AF and whatnot. IIRC, Leica has none of these features. Actually, Leica doesn't have anything, at all. So how is all this supposed to merge into one Fuji product everybody likes?

Sorry Rico, must have hit a nerve. Didn't mean to offend...

If I used the camera as a primary system camera or even with a wider array of lenses than I do, the XE2 would be a no-brainer upgrade for me. The faster/better AF would be useful for longer lenses and the auto-ISO improvements would be absolutely wonderful if I still used the Fuji for street shooting. The only camera I've used with as good an auto-ISO setup is the Nikon A (which is slightly better, but not in a way I'd actually use) and that's become my primary, almost only, street camera. It still trumps the XE2 on size, discreteness, silent shutter, etc and there's no way I'd replace it for street work. But I shot with the X-Pro on the street as a primary camera for more than a year and I might not have moved on if it had these auto-ISO features.

As is I basically only use the XE1 with the 14mm wide angle and may add the 10-24 once it's available, and for the way I use those lenses, these improvements don't really matter to me. So I'll stay with the XE1. But if it had a flip screen like the XM1 or XA1, I'd probably get it, because I love shooting loooooow with wide angles and that's a feature I love on the cameras that have it. I'd rather do without that than the EVF and controls of the XE1, so I won't replace the XE1 with the XM1, but if they'd added a flip screen to the existing EVF on the XE2, I'd have seriously thought about getting it. Nice update, though, for sure...

-Ray

Back