Fuji Excited for the X-E2!

It's interesting that so many users want new and more "computer" features, while so many other users complain about already too many features ("face recognition is evil" etc.), while others again complained about the cameras offering the wrong features ("who needs dynamic range settings, I shoot RAW!") . I have even read suggestions for Fuji to add configuration options to configure the configuration, basically metamenus. Yes, really, I read it just yetserday. It will be interesting to see how Fuji decides to bring all these diverging demands together. They will probably lose everybody, because nobody will be happy.

I am also interested in how Fuji intends to make those happy who stated that they would never ever buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen and those who said that they would only buy a Fuji if it had a tiltable screen. I guess Fuji needs to offer each new model in 2 hardware versions?

It's also interesting to read about "Fuji being the new Leica", being retro, being different, only offering the essentials and how great all this is. Some users even want a monochrome X-Pro1 (there are disturbingly long threads where this is seriously discussed), a "full-frame" X-Pro with M mount etc., but they also want wifi remote control, multipoint tracking hybrid AF and whatnot. IIRC, Leica has none of these features. Actually, Leica doesn't have anything, at all. So how is all this supposed to merge into one Fuji product everybody likes?

it seems perfectly reasonable for individuals to have individual preferences. It's then up to the camera companies to best implement those features that a) appeal to the broadest demographic and b) are implemented in a way that make it as easy to access or ignore those functions as possible. Hardware considerations aside features only offend if they either get in the way, confuse or lead to the impression they add unnecessary cost. Plus Fuji see great ideas implemented in other cameras. How is selectable shutter speed in auto ISO a bad idea? And it's taken a couple of years to get around to that one. And yes I'm put out that my daughters XA1 has a tilty screen but the higher spec XE2 doesn't. I want a camera that has EVERYTHING Fujifilm has to offer. But Fuji film says I can have either a tilty screen OR an EVF but not both. Daft.

It's been done but no camera manufacturer seems to think that the solution to software creep is a customisable menu. Allow me to take my favourite dozen functions and put them in a custom menu in any order I want. Then I can ignore the stuff I don't need happy that others can also have their cake as well. We're getting more and more customisable buttons, but not the software side which is half the story.

And you're wrong about the Leica having nothing. It has a design philosophy. It's abundantly clear how Leica wants their cameras to be seen. The same can't be said about the XE2. Plus the Leica managed to fit all the available shutter speeds on a single shutter speed dial.

Gordon

Question...is there any indication the foliage / smearing details issue is corrected in the E2? or is this still just a raw software issue and not a sensor issue, and the same will still show up in the E2?

Question...is there any indication the foliage / smearing details issue is corrected in the E2? or is this still just a raw software issue and not a sensor issue, and the same will still show up in the E2?

I didn't use the XP1/XE1 Iong enough to see/notice the foliage smearing, but I recall reading that it was also seen in OOC JPG's. Good thing I rarely pixel peep foliage!

That's purely software from demosaicing artifacts as a result of the X-Trans sensor's unique design. It's highly unlikely to be affected by anything hardware (unless they change the X-trans design).

That's also why different software packages have less issues with smearing than others - check out the recent Photo Ninja posts for example.

That's purely software from demosaicing artifacts as a result of the X-Trans sensor's unique design. It's highly unlikely to be affected by anything hardware (unless they change the X-trans design).

That's also why different software packages have less issues with smearing than others - check out the recent Photo Ninja posts for example.

Thanks Jay, that's what I was thinking...

I've just read Rico's preview of the X-E2 and It really looks like a fine cam, remedying many of the things I didn't like about the X-E1 when I had it. I'm especially happy to see that the live exposure preview in the EVF and histogram now works in manual mode! At the moment I'm not tempted to get back into the X-system with another interchangeable lens camera, but if I were this would be it for that reason alone seeing as that's how I prefer to shoot.

I just upgraded to firmware 2.0 and was blown away by how much faster and more reliable the focus is. Almost didn't think I needed an upgrade after that, but I'm really looking forward to the onboard phase detection for moving subjects.

i hope fuji is kind to us x-e1 owners and gives us digital split imaging in a firmware update.

I don't think that's possible since I remember reading/hearing that the split image uses the phase detection pixels (at least on the X100S))

Exactly - the split image uses the phase detection hardware so we won't be seeing it on the X-E1. They did however add the software-based focus peaking feature from the X100S via a FW update. :cool:

Not my own user experience but anothers from the FujiGuys Fall event (Sunday 19th) here in Toronto and a current X E1 user...all i can say he was very happy with the newer sensor with phase detect.

Well i caved and placed a preorder (no pre-auth thankfully) with most camera stores around :p
Can't wait to pick it up. I heard from Fuji that the Canada shipments just landed and should be hitting stores real soon.
Can't wait! :)

I don't know about the A7R I think I'm 100% Fuji going forwards. I've had a bit of back and forth over the last year or so but now I'm super dedicated to shooting strictly fuji :)

Well i caved and placed a preorder (no pre-auth thankfully) with most camera stores around :p
Can't wait to pick it up. I heard from Fuji that the Canada shipments just landed and should be hitting stores real soon.
Can't wait! :)

I placed an order with B&H, they are expecting a shipment of cameras on the 20th of November. Hearing about this earlier arrival in Canada makes me very jealous :)

Fuji X100
Fuji X-E2 (on pre-order)
XF 14mm, XF 35mm

I placed an order with B&H, they are expecting a shipment of cameras on the 20th of November. Hearing about this earlier arrival in Canada makes me very jealous :)

Fuji X100
Fuji X-E2 (on pre-order)
XF 14mm, XF 35mm

Well it seems a few people in the US are getting theirs by the 12th or have already received them.
Same with the UK where it's been available for over a week now.
Canada seems to be lagging behind for the X-E2 and was a few days behind for the 23mm as well.

Back