Software Exifs and/or Metadata date manipulation

JensM

Hall of Famer
I am slowly getting my digitalising project under way, and landed a couple of loose ends today, but these opened another knowledge hole which I would appreciate some assistance on.

Basically, this project are about digitalising the family history in photography and some documents, spanning something around 120 years give or take. I think I have worked out a proper workflow for each of the three mediums that is about to be digitalised, which are Slides, Negatives and Paper copies, up to and including them in LR (separate catalogue from my main), but the blinding flash of the obvious that hit me today, is that the dates will be seriously off embedding the date stamp of the day I make the digital copy, and that will not do.

Based on me getting older, I can mostly identify most of the 70s, 80 and 90s stuff to year and quarter of the year, probably down to about month. The really old stuff goes somewhat by decade based on fashion, family lore and major family events , spanning from about 1900 untill the early 30s. Late 30s, 40s, 50s and to some extent 60s are at the moment outside my control.

Basically, what I am asking about is if there are any reasonable way of getting this somewhat automatically sorted by dates in a LR catalog?

As it stands today, I think I will do the shooting, loading the files into a "flat" folder structure, folder by decade or year, on a separate HD and do the LR import from those, I am somewhat at a loss of how to treat them going into the dedicated LR catalogue. For current stuff, I somewhat just lean on the automated features in LR, so am not sure how to actually make LR do what I need, instead of just letting it do what it does.

Basically, what I am asking about is if there are any reasonable way of getting this somewhat automatically sorted by dates in a LR catalog?

Lets say I have a batch of files from January to end of august 1990, I am more than happy to put roughly sort them into 01-01-1990, 04-01-1990, 07-01-1990 and so on, it is more than good enough for what the cataloguing needs. I would think that there are possibilites, but not sure where to look.

Not thinking that there will be a one stop solution either, so I foresee a "working catalogue" for ongoing tasks and from there, exporting DNg output to a "archival catalogue" if that makes any sense.

Jens, give PIE Studio a close look. It is by far the best GUI for Phil Harvey's EXIFTool that I could find.

I bought it for a very specific task, but it will also do what you want to do.

It only cost about $50 for the full suite, and worth every cent.

Back