Advice Wanted exporting images in lightroom classic

lucien

Legend
Hi I messed my export settings in lightroom classic. My NEF's are 23.9mp But when I export to jpeg I'm only getting 10.2mp. I'm losing 1/2 the size of my files. Before this incident I was getting up to 23.5mp on export.

My settings are

JPEG

sRGB

quality: 100

limit file size = unchecked but I see the box beside it at [ 100 K] greyed out

Image Sizing

resize to fit = unchecked [megapixels greyed out] don't enlarge = unchecked

megapixels [ 23.0] greyed out resolution [449] pixels per inch

How can I get things back? I don't want to reset the whole program because I have some infrared and fall presets I might loose. I also have one for my film negatives. 10.2 isn't bad but I'm losing 1/2 the file size

thanks

the file sizing from the raw file is

5600 x 3728 = 23.3mp in landscape mode

ditto for portrait mode

Nikon D7500

the funny thing is it's 21mp camera

Don't know whether this is helpful but have you tried Edit/Preferences/Presets - restore Export presets (not likely but possibility). Or, try Edit/Preferences/External Editing to see if anything changed in there.

It's not a preset I'm trying to restore though. I'm trying to fix my export settings that I had. The files are somewhat smaller now than they should be
I"ll try your last bit now

Yes, sorry my knowledge of LR not that brilliant but I remember cocking up my export settings once - still no idea how, and fixed it in the external editing section.

I don't want to play with that one either. There is nothing there that was changed previously. Why can't I just set a maximum output size? Because Tiff's are different, Dng's are different and Jpeg's are different
I'll give this some more time. A couple a days see what suggestions I get. Not willing to restore the program to default values. I'm in too deep now with editng and preferences

Yes, sorry my knowledge of LR not that brilliant but I remember cocking up my export settings once - still no idea how, and fixed it in the external editing section.
as a last resort, I'll go and play in there. But I'm damn well taking a picture of the before and after settings. Haaaaa !

I have a comprise I could live with. If I can save my custom presets, ie Fall, negative film to positive image, high iso for the sony slt. I'm willing to restore the whole program. Even re install it. Don't don't think I should just for this hiccup though

Hi I messed my export settings in lightroom classic. My NEF's are 23.9mp But when I export to jpeg I'm only getting 10.2mp. I'm losing 1/2 the size of my files. Before this incident I was getting up to 23.5mp on export.

My settings are

JPEG

sRGB

quality: 100

limit file size = unchecked but I see the box beside it at [ 100 K] greyed out

Image Sizing

resize to fit = unchecked [megapixels greyed out] don't enlarge = unchecked

megapixels [ 23.0] greyed out resolution [449] pixels per inch

How can I get things back? I don't want to reset the whole program because I have some infrared and fall presets I might loose. I also have one for my film negatives. 10.2 isn't bad but I'm losing 1/2 the file size

thanks
Lucien, as Richard has already said, it is absolutely normal for a JPEG to be a much smaller file size than a RAW. That's the case with NEF files from my old Coolpix too.

What you should be checking is the image dimensions. They will be slightly less than those of the RAW image dimensions too. Again, perfectly normal.

Most cameras use a lossless RAW compression. However, most cameras compress JPEGs 4:1 ... So do post-processing programs. Hence the much smaller files in megabytes. The image size should be much the same - i.e. about 5590x3700 pixels.

I just checked this on 24mp Lumix and Olympus 20.2mp RAWs.

JPEGs exported at 100 quality, no crops or size restrictions are 10,730,495 bytes (10.7 MB on disk) and 5,948,404 bytes (6 MB on disk) respectively.

So....thinking the Olympus JPEG was a bit small, I exported some different images from the same camera on the same day and got 10 and 15mb files with exactly the same settings.

Going in deeper, I've just taken a SOOC Olympus RAW of a daffodil and exported it 'as-is' 15mb file. Took the same RAW image, hit the 'auto' button in Lightroom to make some rudimentary adjustments, and on export the file size has grown to 20mb.

This should of course not be a huge surprise. The ability for the program to discard data (it's sole mission is to get rid of un-necessary bloat on export) is also going to depend on the range of tones and detail in your original image.

It's worth noting that if you swap the destination colour space from SRGB to something like Adobe RGB/Prophoto RGB, this can have a not insignificant effect on file size, everything else being equal.

Thanks for the input. What I came up with is this.

resize to fit checked

next box over became [23.1 mp]

Resolution [449] pixels per inch

Now I'm seeing what I used to see. Your correct about the files being smaller as jpegs. Also cropping reduces file size

the export changes I've made are much better for me. I get a fluctuating file size which is normal but I can get 15-10mp jpegs now on export. Before they measured the same amount (10mp) across the board, cropped or not.

I'm happy with this arrangement because the Tiff's don't need any changes/work and I don't use Dng.

I just checked this on 24mp Lumix and Olympus 20.2mp RAWs.

JPEGs exported at 100 quality, no crops or size restrictions are 10,730,495 bytes (10.7 MB on disk) and 5,948,404 bytes (6 MB on disk) respectively.

So....thinking the Olympus JPEG was a bit small, I exported some different images from the same camera on the same day and got 10 and 15mb files with exactly the same settings.
Richard, maybe check your JPEG settings on the Olympus. That looks like LF setting to me. I set all my herd to LSF JPEG (2.7:1) as I find that gives noticeably better colours and resolution.
Going in deeper, I've just taken a SOOC Olympus RAW of a daffodil and exported it 'as-is' 15mb file. Took the same RAW image, hit the 'auto' button in Lightroom to make some rudimentary adjustments, and on export the file size has grown to 20mb.

This should of course not be a huge surprise. The ability for the program to discard data (it's sole mission is to get rid of un-necessary bloat on export) is also going to depend on the range of tones and detail in your original image.

It's worth noting that if you swap the destination colour space from SRGB to something like Adobe RGB/Prophoto RGB, this can have a not insignificant effect on file size, everything else being equal.

Richard, maybe check your JPEG settings on the Olympus. That looks like LF setting to me. I set all my herd to LSF JPEG (2.7:1) as I find that gives noticeably better colours and resolution.

Hi John,

I have my cameras set to create RAWs only. It was a 20mp image exported as-is.

I was very surprised to see the small file size. There was only one that small - I'll see if I can re-create it :)

Back