Fuji Expressions of interest, please, in the Grand FujiXspot 12 month challenge!

Lightmancer

Legend
Name
Bill Palmer
I think it's high time we had a bit of competitiveness around here, so I would like to propose as follows.

The months of the year are each named for various events, Roman emperors, gods and even just numbers, thus:

January Named after the two-faced Roman god of beginnings and endings, doors, portals and gatekeepers, Janus.

February The name comes either from the old-Italian god Februus or from februa, signifying the festivals of purification celebrated in Rome during this month.

March Named after the Roman god of war Mars.

April Called Aprilis, from*aperire, "to open". Possibly because it is the month in which the buds begin to open.

May Named after Maiesta the Roman goddess of honour.

June Named in honour of the goddess Juno.

July Named after Julius Caesar.

August Named after emperor Augustus.

September Seven

October Eight

November Nine

December Ten

I propose a 12-month challenge, sub-divided into 12 rounds. Each round starts on the 1st of the month and you have just two weeks to post an image taken on a Fuji X camera that best expresses or represents the name of that month as shown above.

After two weeks, no more images can be posted. This is to allow "voting" on the best image that month. Voting is simply done by expressing "thanks" in the usual way. You can thank any image, and more than one, if you think they are worthy.

Voting ends on the last day of the month. The winner for that month is simply the image with most votes at that time.

There will therefore be 12 monthly winners. There will ALSO be an overall winner - this is the photographer who has polled most votes over the 12 months - a "league table" will be established for this purpose.

I propose we start in September - "seven". This is so that we finish by 1 October 2015 - we can then go on to produce a 2016 calendar of the winning entries.

Waddyathink...?

Bill,

A good idea but is 2 weeks enough to get a worthy image (full time jobs, families to attend to, winter months when it's dark at 4pm) ??

Can the voting run for the first 2 weeks of the next month instead?

Well, two things. Firstly, it is two weeks to post, not to capture. Secondly, you can shoot well in advance, or even use a previously-shot image as long as it is taken with a Fuji X. If for example you see a "January" during September, shoot it by all means, but you can't enter it until January is "open". I do want to keep entry and voting in the same month, as far as possible.

Makes sense?

This is looking pretty good. Depending on how many people participate and how many photos we end up with, I was thinking of a photo book similar to the Single's in Jan we previously had in SC, what do you reckon?

Yes, I definitely think we should do something with the results - A book would be good, but I was also thinking in terms of a calendar, for the top 12. I' m hoping that people will be creative in interpreting the themes; "April", for instance, could be a girl called April, an Aprilia moped, openings, buds, new beginnings - NOT just generic Spring photos... see what I mean?

Cool idea. I'm in. About the overall winner being chosen based on the number of thanks, the earlier months will have an advantage over the later months this way. But then with these things it's more about participating than winning anyway :)

Ah, you see.. I have thought of that. I will do a "thanks" count on the last day of the month. That is the total that will stand for each month. I shall then maintain and publish a table of scores over the year :)

Back