Fuji EXR mode is great

Penfan2010

All-Pro
Name
Ed
A year behind, I know, but I am constantly discovering the joys of EXR mode on my used X-10. Couldn't resist these random shots around the house while preparing breakfast--good test of capturing details in light and shadow. Pretty much SOOC JPEGs, with some sharpening, for the color photos, and straight BW conversion of the coffee cups in Silver Efex Pro 2, but no preset; for the BW conversion of the flower photo I used the Low Key preset.

1459-flowers-vincent.jpg

1456-dscf2810.jpg

1458-dscf2814-2.jpg

1457-dscf2814-edit.jpg

1455-dscf2808-edit.jpg

Yes the X10 certainly beats the X20 in jpegs. I like my X20 a lot, excellent image quality -- provided you shoot raw. I do usually anyway, but I don't find the Advance mode shooting choices (jpeg only) as useful on the X20 because of its (to me) awful jpeg engine.

Have fun with the EXR shooting; it's one of the X-10's great strengths.

I spend most of my time in P mode, but I use EXR when I am presented with a view I just don't know what to do with. In which case, EXR is almost eerie in the way it sums up different light sources and blends them to a useable pic effortlessly. This was a costume company we always go to around Halloween just to get a load of the wild stuff they have. They had these heads with different wigs, and this is horrible fluorescent light just out of the frame plus fill flash from the EF20 on the X10, obviously not a lot as you can see. How it balances these types of things out is amazing. I shudder to think what this would have taken to get right with film and a wallet of CC filters . . .

View attachment 1462

This is why I think the X20 is going to be a different camera for those of us used to the 10. Not better or worse, but different.

All the Best,

EBC Wilson

Attachments

• DSCF4028.jpg
    DSCF4028.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 325
I spend most of my time in P mode, but I use EXR when I am presented with a view I just don't know what to do with. In which case, EXR is almost eerie in the way it sums up different light sources and blends them to a useable pic effortlessly. This was a costume company we always go to around Halloween just to get a load of the wild stuff they have. They had these heads with different wigs, and this is horrible fluorescent light just out of the frame plus fill flash from the EF20 on the X10, obviously not a lot as you can see. How it balances these types of things out is amazing. I shudder to think what this would have taken to get right with film and a wallet of CC filters . . .

View attachment 1462

This is why I think the X20 is going to be a different camera for those of us used to the 10. Not better or worse, but different.

All the Best,

EBC Wilson

EBC -thanks for your insights. I do think EXR is great for those moments when I am not sure of the best setting to maximize detail in shadow areas and highlights, and I am constantly amazed by the results. Your photo of the mannequin is a great example of such a situation. Of course, with RAW, one can get similar results, and since the X-20's sensor is similar to the X-Pro and X-E1, I am sure you can to the same end point. That said, it does require more deiberation, and that's why I now use the X-Pro for when I want to take my time to compose and expose carefully, while the X-10 is a great camera for spontaneous shooting, with JPG output.

Not sure if anyone noticed but Lightoom 4.4 and ACR 7.4 have modified the handling of X10 RAW files.
Personally I haven't had time to look for benefits or to use my X10 but some on DPReview say that the X10 results have got better.

They have. At least the EXR HR Mode demosaic algorithm has improved in a way, that sharpening is easier and somewhat less prone to reticulation. It's still a bit quirky though, but the results are definitely better than in previous versions.

Back