Manual Lens Extension tubes for Nikon: confused about what is what

mike3996

Legend
PK, PN, M2... there are plenty of different tubes offered for Nikon F mount lenses.

But this is my current understanding:

• PK tubes are Ai and won't really fit with pre-Ai lenses. PK tubes offer automatic aperture and pass aperture selection to the body.
  • PN tubes are pre-Ai and offer/won't offer automatic aperture?
  • M2 is pre-Ai and no automatic aperture.

I suppose I can use Ai lenses on PN tubes, I just tell the camera I'm using a pre-Ai lens.

~~~~~~

To clarify, "Automatic aperture" means that the lens in front of the tube remains wide open when focusing and composing, and will be closed to the taking aperture when exposing. If the tube is not automatic aperture then a macro shooter has to first open up the lens manually, focus, compose, then close it before triggering the shutter.

I reckon when the name says "Auto extension tube" it means it has auto-aperture. Or is this just hopeful thinking on my part...

I don't know alot about the tubes but I have a set. What kinds of lens do you have and want to use? G glass, F glass Ai glass. I can only speak for the set that I have. Meike 3 piece extension tube set. 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm. They are stackable, have no glass element. And provide autofocus with the "right" type of glass. And they allow you to get closer than the mfd.

Good luck

I did get a handle on things, and bought a few rings from sales.

The PN-1 is the main event. 52.5mm with aperture lever coupling and a tripod collar, it'll serve my longer lenses fine and it should be sturdier than a stacked set of rings.

Then I got a 5-ring set of K rings, totalling about 50mm altogether. These don't all have F mount connects so it's a different ball game. No aperture coupling either.

These rings are pre-Ai. This is because they will then fit Df with every type of glass.

The Meike ones, with reliance on electrical contacts, would also do fine I guess.

Back