Fuji Extention tubes - Fotga Fotasy Viltrox Weever

rhermans

Regular
Name
Ronny Hermans
Hi everybody,

I just tried my last 'cheap' extension tube that I got through eBay.
This time it was a Viltrox DG-FU and again it isn't working the way it should, but let me start from the beginning.

Getting the fuji xe-1 with the 18-55 last year my first idea was, why would I buy the macro lens. It's only 5mm longer and adding a 26mm extension tube to the 18-55 would make it comparable and it would have shake reduction.
All tubes I found come in a 10 and 16mm set.

So my first two sets of extension tubes where the fotasy and fotga. The only way they differ is in name, after handling both of them I'm quite sure that they are made in the same factory.

The fotasy ... the fit on the camera was to tight and I really didn't dare using it, but when i did the connection between the lens and the camera was almost non existent so I returned it.
The fotga ... identical as the fotasy but ... the fit on the camera was very light, it did make a connection between the lens but any movement of the lens like zooming or manual focus broke the connection. So you can use is when you don't zoom and you don't do any manual focusing.

Then a few day's ago I saw an other brand on ebay.

The Viltrox DG-FU what is also sold as Weever.
and it's the same story as the fotga, loose fit and don't move the lens because the connection will be broken.
Only there is no connection between the camera and the lens when you stack them.

So IMHO I don't think there are any good extension tubes for the fuji x system on the market. (please correct me)

I haven't returned the fotga because it worked (partially) , and I'll be taking the viltrox apart to see if I can make it work (just for the fun of it).

Cheers

Ronny

i got an adapter for my sigma 105mm macro and it works perfectly , only when you are not planning to get macro shots it's always easy to carry a few extention tubes around, if they work.

UPDATE - partially dismantled the viltrox, and fitted it between the two fotga tubes. I don't know why but now I finally have a working setup.

The 16mm fotga + 16mm viltrox + 10mm fotga somehow work.

I'm still not saying that they are great but ... the 16mm fotga + 16mm viltrox + 10mm fotga somehow work.

My latest shots with this setup and the 55-200 are here https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?t=2462

Back