Leica f-stop not listed w/n EXIF data?

Mijo

Veteran
I have a M-E and I noticed recently that when I look at the EXIF data the f-stop that I used isn't listed, but everything else is. I looked on flickr and I'm seeing the f-stop listed on some pictures but not on others, with people using the M-E and the M9. How do I get the f-stop to show up in the EXIF data?

I'm wondering how people on flickr are getting the fstop to show up on their exif if their using an ME and if it's listed when using an M9 why isn't it listed when using an ME? I was thinking there was a menu setting that I'm just not able to find that will allow the fstop to show up as part of the exif.

Missing or incorrect aperture data in exif is something you'll just need to get used to with the M series. The lens doesn't report aperture to the camera at all. Theres a small sensor near the front of the viewfinder that has a cell that attempts to measure aperture and write it to exif. But it's almost always wrong. Its easily covered, doesn't take filters into account and just gives readings that dont make sense (I got a lens coded at a max f stop of 1.4 to show ann f1.0 exposure once).

You could write it in later on your computer. I could never be bothered.

Gordon

All Leica M's report the estimated aperture in the manufactures notes. Lightroom, etc. copies this information to the aperture field. However in LR's case it has not been updated to include the more recent M's, they are aware of this and an update is expected.

Until then, you can copy the information yourself.

I don't think I've ever had an image with missing aperture data with my M9 (I exclusively shoot DNG only). And apart from some outliers, I don't think the aperture value recorded has ever been correct.

I have a tendency to use a set of f-stops per lens, so the exif data being inaccurate as it is, helps me remember what setting was used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Back