Film Fall Colors: Polaroid SX-70 Sonar + 119a Telephoto, Modern 600 film.

Brian

Product of the Fifties
This SX-70 Sonar was modified to use 600 film some 20 years ago, easy job- remove the rim over the Electric Eye and take out the ND filter. Use 1-notch towards darken. The SX-70 Sonar can use the 119a Telephoto Lens for a 1.5x magnification. The SLR680 and SLR690 CANNOT use it. Putting the Telephoto Lens onto those cameras will destroy the Sonar housing. The SX-70 Sonar has a switch to change the calibration on the Sonar unit to focus properly with the lens attached.

This is the first time I've used this setup in 18 years. It is my favorite Polaroid, and I used it for hundreds of photos. Given the price- I'll be using it, but a little more selectively.
The reincarnated Polaroid film has received a lot of criticism for not being as good as that of 20 years ago. The packs I bought at the end of 2021 were good, seemed a "little weak".
The new packs arrived this week. TO ME- they are as good as those from 20 years ago, I just pulled out a big album of Polaroid Pictures shot in 1998~1999.

To Note: The front element on the 119a Telephoto is Huge. It picked up some flare to the top of some of the images.
fall_colors1_Upload.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Fall_Colors2_upload.jpg
Fall_colors3_upload.jpg
Fall_colors4_Upload.jpg

I have a really nice condition SX-70 which was given to me a few years ago, but a mirror inside broke. I still think about getting it fixed, there are some design concepts which never get old and I think the design that went into the SX70 cameras is definitely of that sort. These are great photos!

Retrospekt has a flat-rate repair service for Polaroids. You might contact them. I had them rebuild an SLR680 that I found at an estate sale- better than new.
I had a pair of SLR680's before, sold them when prices went "insane", about triple what the Retrospekt rebuild cost. I'm happy to have one again.

Retrospekt has a flat-rate repair service for Polaroids. You might contact them. I had them rebuild an SLR680 that I found at an estate sale- better than new.
I had a pair of SLR680's before, sold them when prices went "insane", about triple what the Retrospekt rebuild cost. I'm happy to have one again.

That's a lot of money to pay for a repair service when you consider how expensive shooting Polaroid film is these days, but... it may not be too much to pay for a classic. I should do it.

On my camera- they replaced the motor, main circuit board, leather, etc- just about everything. Someone must be manufacturing replacement circuit boards for these people, the capacitors on 40 year old spare parts would be going bad all on their own. Knowing how much time goes into the repair, and how many parts were required- "Cheap". Look at the cost to take a dent out of the fender of your car. About Double what this repair cost.

Back