Fall's last hurrah.

carlb

All-Pro
We're now really into winter here in Minnesota. Even as of a week ago, temperatures were a bit warmer, but we'd already lost most color. A week before that, and it was easy to tell fall was on its way out. Here are a few from an afternoon at Grass Lake with the X-E1 and the 14mm prime. I was consciously trying to work the light. It made for somewhat difficult shooting as I was often shooting into the sun, trying to get a bit of backlight to help colors and contrast pop as well as some washout for any particular shot.

10689507473_032033ede8_b.jpg

sun resting on clouds by cbmn, on Flickr

10700656126_4f7645ef31_b.jpg

path up the hill by cbmn, on Flickr

10671543535_a15546a214_c.jpg

early november afternoon by cbmn, on Flickr

10662308955_ff9bbb6e9e_b.jpg

grass lake overlook by cbmn, on Flickr

Nice set, Carl.

#3 is my favourite. I think light, color, contrast, lines, compositional balance, subject (isolation) and the idea align very well in this photo. A good idea to take only half of the first tree because this way it draws attention to the colourful tree. The lines in the land work very well too. The orange/brown/gold color make the photo pop. I really like it!

I like the tonality in the sun in the first photo. The composition is also spot on. Light as well. However, the colours are somewhat flat (but I do like the light in the front). It's also less clear what the main subject and idea are.

The other two are more ordinary although beautifully captured. But they do trigger the emotion/atmosphere as #1 and #3.

I hope you don't mind my commenting but I am trying to become better in "seeing". So I do welcome your (and other people's) comments on my comments.

Thanks for sharing! I am looking forward to your winter photos.

Peter

These scenes are very similar to a park I visit regularly here in Michigan, and so are of particular interest to me.

One of the questions for me, as the scenes become more stark and monotone, is how to create interest, contrast, and something that draws the viewer into the scene and gives emotional impact.

The barren but strong trees in #1 and #4 do that for me. The punch of remaining red oak leaves in #4 also create the interest. There is also foreground transilluminated leaves that are interesting. #2 is less interesting for me because of the lack of a foreground or mid ground subject that draws me in.

I am in no way qualified to critique photos, this is just my emotional reaction. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Peter and Eric for your critiques, both great. I grew up in Michigan, the feel here in Minnesota is similar, especially to the western Michigan regions.

The challenge really was finding what color was left and finding some shots to work those colors. I don't know if I have any great tips toward that but contrasts always seem to help me: light/dark, stark/dreamy, crisp detail versus feathery clouds. One simple thing is usually if I can find a vantage from higher looking lower, there's often something good I can make of that. :)

By last week the color was nearly gone, so I decided to just go with it, and pushed the black and white:

10847497296_e662b85bff_c.jpg

lineman's reverie by cbmn, on Flickr

10847589635_99429e1e76_c.jpg

BUNGE by cbmn, on Flickr

As you can see, two different feels, but each with a least a few types of contrasts, and composition helped by figuring out where any leading lines were going and which subjects (well, as much as any of these have a subject) to anchor where.

I'd be happy to critique any of your latest work too. I try hard not to be negative. :)

Back