Family Tree

ReD

Hall of Famer
A cousin of mine has a passion for tracing our family history
Seems that the earliest date so far is 1680 & apparently our bloodline strain started in Longstock Hampshire & Wiltshire

When I have time & a bit of cash it would be interesting to photo some of these villages though obviously nothing like the way they were back in those days

Personally I'm more interested in DNA traced ancestry - would love to see the hops & skips through Europe that could throw up - Photo tour would be much more meaningful then

I've traced our lot back on Dad's maternal side to 1765 and his paternal side to early 1800s. There's a strong Irish connection. I started on our family history about 15 years ago and pick it up when I feel like doing a bit more. I did get sidetracked for a couple of years doing the wife's maternal side - interesting lot with a really colourful history. We had to go to Yorkshire to find a couple of them in graveyards, which turned up that all is not what the family thought! Cats' - pigeons - amongst! :eek:

Yep - weird things get thrown up - like two unsolved murders (I think a few generations apart) both male, both in Wales.

Not found any murders - yet, but there has been some real skulduggery including land stealing. There was an eloping where the girl was from a very well to do farming family, she was disowned for running away with a lowly farm labourer and got nothing of the family fortune.

Dave, here in the Uk records began in 1834, anything before that gets a bit more difficult. In a lot of cases, particularly small farming communities and the like, the only person in the village who could read and write was the local clergy. Names used to get spelled differently depending on how they were interpreted.

I have an unusual surname, which before 1834 was spelt in many different ways making tracing it back a bit of a task sometimes. The Latter day Saints records have helped me find a lot, it's a great resource.

When I opened the tread, I thought I would see a photo of a tree in your ancestor's garden. I think I'm suffering from Hobby deformation. ;-)

For a family event, I did some research. It is a fascinating quest. What I like most, is that history suddenly becomes personal.

Doing a photo report is a great idea! I think I am going to follow-up on that. In my case that might be easier as three cities show up: Leiden, Amsterdam, and Luik.

Back