Sony Farewell my RX1 friends...it's been fun.

rpavich

Veteran
I just put my RX1 up for sale yesterday and wanted to say thanks for a lot of fun and guidance.

I recently got an X100S again (to go with the RX1) and now, have found that though the IQ of the X100S most definitely isn't up to that standard, it's not a good enough reason to keep the RX1 around...it turned out to be not as important as I originally though it would be.

I've learned to live with and use the quirks of the X100S and am much happier with it this time around and plan on supplementing it with an X-Pro1 with a longer focal length.

If I had money to burn I'd probably keep it, even if it doesn't get used often but as it is...money means something to me so I need to free up the cash.

I've enjoyed the camera immensely and my time here....thanks again.

Sounds like a wise decision. At some point, good enough has to be good enough, and other considerations come into play. I do hope you'll still be part of the SC family?

We've all experimented with various cameras, so enjoy the next stage in your journey. But this is not just an RX1 site - lots of Fuji shooters around here too. So you don't have to bail out of here just because you're bailing on a camera. Plenty of us hang out here and on the XSpot site too...

I'm personally in the process of selling off some stuff to ADD an X100s. I've always enjoyed shooting with a variety of gear and, even though my focal length preferences have gotten less varied with time, I really miss having a Fuji with the hybrid viewfinder (currently only having an XE1 with the 14mm lens). So an X100s with the 28mm adapter lens gives me a second option to the RX1 and Nikon "A" for both 35 and 28 focal lengths. And gives me something other than a really wide angle to shoot with those wonderful Fuji colors. And a way to travel REALLY light with my two favorite focal lengths... I hesitate to buy something that will result in my using the RX1 less, but I think I'll get plenty of use out of both. And the Nikon will continue to be the pocket option and best possible street camera for me...

Very few of us around here sit still with regards to cameras. So, good luck, but no need to be a stranger...

-Ray

It sounds like a goodbye which is totally unnecessary and would be a loss to you & everyone else

(Some of us have no option but to sit still with their camera btw)

Absolutely no reason to say goodbye! Heck, between here and FujiXspot - Fuji X Series Forums, we're one big happy family...and if you want you can always buy a Leica and stop by at LeicaPlace.com - Leica News, Rumors, and Discussion Forums.:D

Even though I have both the X100 and X10, all I've been postings for the last number of months are iPhone pix - a serious compact is pretty much whichever camera one's using that is serious to them and maybe smaller than a breadbox.;)

Settling in?

Settling in with the "right" gear takes different directions with different folks. My settling in, has taken me to the E-p3 and a couple old MF lenses. I arrived there by various circuitous routes. And it probably will keep changing as time goes on.
My settling has been controlled in part by:
What I mostly shoot.
What I can afford.
What works best in hand, for me (best, being controlled by Limited funds).
And several other things, hard to verbalize.

What I now have, is not the perfect setup (in my daydreams). But it works very well, and gives me "acceptable" output, if not my ideal.

We eventually need to find our own personal comfort zone, and working relationship with our tools, if we expect to achieve a higher level of quality in our chosen field of work, whether it be art, carpentry, mechanics, or .... And sometimes "less IS more". :)

Happy shooting, indeed! The X100s is a fine camera - I have the X100, and the s is purportedly a functionally better camera in almost every way. And I really enjoy my X100.

@Ray, you said: "So an X100s with the 28mm adapter lens gives me a second option to the RX1 and Nikon "A" for both 35 and 28 focal lengths. And gives me something other than a really wide angle to shoot with those wonderful Fuji colors. And a way to travel REALLY light with my two favorite focal lengths..."

When I read this, I began to think through the pros and cons of the 28mm adapter for the Fuji, taking into consideration the fact that I already own a GR and GXR.

- the adapter can be used in lieu of the GR, and offers f2 light gathering and depth of field performance on the X100. Plus.
- it can be a way to travel light with 28 and 35, using only one charger and set of batteries, and all the benefits that the Fuji brings. Plus.
- adapters are fun, and can be a relatively inexpensive way to add functionality to an existing camera as well as quench GAS. Plus.

However:

- a X100/s and a GR means having both focal lengths at your disposal instantly
- the Coolpix A and GR are much slimmer than the 28mm adapter
- the adapter makes the X100 lens much longer, and less easy to manage
- the X100 and GXR (not GR) use the same batteries, and the GXR gives the choice of a couple of good primes and/or M-mount options
- depending on your clothes, shooting style and skill, the GR is even easier to shoot discreetly than the X100

Sorry for diverting the thread like this, but sometimes the gear madness takes over a bit, hahaha.

I am all Fuji now and still hang here. I have burned through three brands of mirrorless in the past couple of years before finding Fuji was the best compromise for me as well.

This is why there is not only one camera, or many other things in life for that matter. "One size fits all" almost never works.

@Ray, you said: "So an X100s with the 28mm adapter lens gives me a second option to the RX1 and Nikon "A" for both 35 and 28 focal lengths. And gives me something other than a really wide angle to shoot with those wonderful Fuji colors. And a way to travel REALLY light with my two favorite focal lengths..."

When I read this, I began to think through the pros and cons of the 28mm adapter for the Fuji, taking into consideration the fact that I already own a GR and GXR.

- the adapter can be used in lieu of the GR, and offers f2 light gathering and depth of field performance on the X100. Plus.
- it can be a way to travel light with 28 and 35, using only one charger and set of batteries, and all the benefits that the Fuji brings. Plus.
- adapters are fun, and can be a relatively inexpensive way to add functionality to an existing camera as well as quench GAS. Plus.

However:

- a X100/s and a GR means having both focal lengths at your disposal instantly
- the Coolpix A and GR are much slimmer than the 28mm adapter
- the adapter makes the X100 lens much longer, and less easy to manage
- the X100 and GXR (not GR) use the same batteries, and the GXR gives the choice of a couple of good primes and/or M-mount options
- depending on your clothes, shooting style and skill, the GR is even easier to shoot discreetly than the X100

Sorry for diverting the thread like this, but sometimes the gear madness takes over a bit, hahaha.

I agree with all of your points. I'll just add that the 28mm adapter also doesn't work very well with the X100s OVF in that it takes up pretty much the entire viewing area and it blocks a good chunk of the view. I ended up with the same cameras I had right along - the RX1 and Nikon A. One of the reasons I didn't really want an X100s is that I realized anything that took any shooting time away from the RX1 was a bad idea. I love that camera and didn't want to feel any sort of conflict about whether to take it out or something else. When I want a fixed lens and I'm not primarily going out to shoot street stuff (when I'd pick the Nikon A), the RX1 is the only option and I haven't wanted for anything else in that slot. I liked the X100 and X100s a lot, but I like the RX1 a lot more than either in every way save the OVF, but I'm OK without that...

-Ray

I agree with all of your points. I'll just add that the 28mm adapter also doesn't work very well with the X100s OVF in that it takes up pretty much the entire viewing area and it blocks a good chunk of the view. I ended up with the same cameras I had right along - the RX1 and Nikon A. One of the reasons I didn't really want an X100s is that I realized anything that took any shooting time away from the RX1 was a bad idea. I love that camera and didn't want to feel any sort of conflict about whether to take it out or something else. When I want a fixed lens and I'm not primarily going out to shoot street stuff (when I'd pick the Nikon A), the RX1 is the only option and I haven't wanted for anything else in that slot. I liked the X100 and X100s a lot, but I like the RX1 a lot more than either in every way save the OVF, but I'm OK without that... -Ray

Totally agree with everything you wrote. I've had so much camera gear in the past and never want to reach for anything other than the RX1 these days. X100 was great but the RX1 is better IMHO.

Back