Farm stuff

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
Hey team, I've been away working on the farm. I did take my camera but I've been so busy I have barely had it out the house. I snuck out last night after dark though and tried to get some pictures of the stars and the massive moon. Neither turned out right, one because it was really windy so the shot wobbled a bit, the other because I couldn't do it right. I couldn't work out the right settings.
Anyway, I did get some interesting stuff, it's all a learning experience. I think I took some lamb shots today, I'll add them later if I did. I know that sounds like early dementia, but really it's so busy here that I have a sort of conveyer belt memory, something new on, something old off. I have the numbers of all the sheep and who their lambs are, how many they had, which ones they still have and where the others have gone. And so on and so forth.
6970458285_264f4c8283_b.jpg
[/url] Full Moon by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

6970422475_1c0c88d87d_b.jpg
[/url] Starry starry night at Ecclaw by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice set, I particularly like the 2nd for conveying the feeling of being out there at night on a hilltop, and the third which is just wonderful - nice find! What's gonna happen to these eggs? Have they been fertilized?

The eggs (all 19 of them) have been used up in various baking endeavors. And very good they were too.
She wasn't sitting on them so they weren't warm enough to be viable. I'm not sure whether Lenny the rooster was involved or not - he has a few girlfriends to look after.

I tried to post pics on Twitter as I went - I am @HeatherTheVet if you are interested.

How are you supposed to take pictures of the moon being all round and yellow and crater filled? I only got blown out blobs. If you know what I mean.

Heather,
It's been a spell and you are a loyal friend. So, bear in mind that ok.
Many of us here at SC are from big cities. The only time we get to see a lamb is taking the kids to the petting zoo or....
uh...searching for a good lamb recipie.
So we are all excited to see our resident SC vet, not veteran, show what she lives with.
We don't question the lamb at all... Really... But here in Philly, in the Northeast Section in the street I live on...
We question what the heck is a half bred ewe? What praytell is the other half?
Is this something you bred after drinking...whatever it is you drink?

Or maybe its just a Scots thing and we wouldn't understand anyway....
Your loyal confused as always...don

Lots of breeding ewes are crosses. Some have funny names, some of which vary depending on the region. For example a Mule is a cross between a horned hill breed usually Swaledale or Scottish Blackface and a Leicester - either a Border or Blue-faced Leicester. So if you cross a swaledale with a blue-faced leicester you get a North of England Mule. If you cross a Blackface with a Leicester you get a Greyface Mule. Anything crossed with a Suffolk is just a Suffolk cross. Same with a Texel. However the unwritten laws of sheep names - if something is half Cheviot, it's called a half bred. They have the Cheviot domed nose and long ears and their lambs have big long legs, long ears and what we'd call a tight skin - a short coat with tight curls.

She was a canny beast anyway, and that lamb was up and away in no time!

Manx Loaghtan Ewes

These are on a small holding of a friend of mine where I'm currently doing some bird survey work. I understand they normally have four horns, but can have just two as these do or even six. Fully grown they are pretty chunky and valued as a fine meat animal. Regarded as a rare breed animal, although I'm not certain if these are absolutely pure bred or not?

P1050833.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1050826.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic GH2 with 14-45mm, f/3.5-5.6 zoom

Barrie

Back