Fuji Favorite lenses....

kevistopheles

Top Veteran
Legacy Essentials

Since adapted lenses offer some challenges that are different from native lenses (as in the prohibitive prices of decent WA) what is your favorite "essentials" combination of legacy glass and why?

Minolta MC Rokkor 24/2.8 SI
Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 macro
Minolta MC Rokkor 100/2.5​

Although I have other lenses that I like a lot if I had to go with a bare minimum it would be these. The terrific high ISO of the XE1 means I'm willing to not have anything faster than 2.8. The fact that Minoltas are color balanced is why I'm keeping to one brand and the EFL's of 36, 52-105 and 150 is going to serve me well 99% of the time. The key for me is the 35-70 zoom because my experience is that it's prime sharp at 35 and 50 and softens up at 70 and the closeup ability makes it my go to lens for the kinds of stuff I like to shoot. If I didn't have that I would have replaced it with the MC Rokkor 50/1.4

FWIW I would choose a different set with my NEX

Currently it would be
Vivitar 28mm f2 in FD mount
Helios M44 58mm f2
Nikon 135mm f2.8

28mm is the widest I shoot. I really like the look of the Vivitar, especially @f2. The flare of this lens looks fantastic. The Helios is my fave because of all of it's characteristics. Swirly bokeh. I've always had a 135mm. The Nikon is smaller and sharper then it's Canon FD counterpart.

The 50mm range has become my favorite focal length. As of now the Helios is my fave. I have a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 which is a fantastic lens. It just lacks any characteristics to give it a unique look. I just picked up a Ricoh 50mm f2 to try out. And will probably grab a manual Nikon 50mm 1.8 ai this weekend. There is a shop in town which specializes in legacy gear so I have quick access to a lot of legacy glass.

The Rokkor MC 55 f1.7 is the only manual old lens I have that's strongly recommendable (especially at about $25). Portrait length, bang for buck, I don't think you can touch it. Even taking cost aside, it's a very, VERY good lens that gets no attention.

The Rokkor MD 28 f2.8 is fine, well made, good contrast and color, just not as sharp as I wish it were. Totally fine at web viewing sizes, but at 100%, it shows its age well before the (older) MC lens does.

What adapter should I use with Helios lens mount M39 for X-T1? I could find only M39 Leica-to-Fuji adapters so far...

The Helios 44 comes in two flavors, m39 Leica thread mount and M42 thread mount (like the Pentax Super Takumars).

Just get the adapter for the mount the helios you have is in. Mine is the M42 screw mount so that is the adapter I have.

I really like the Helios 44M. I've got to pick another one of those up some day.
Yeah, I won't part with this one. I was lucky to find one for sale in the states.

And now you guys have me looking for a Rokkor :D Going to look into some Konica glass. I am going to wind up with a big collection of 50mm-58mm lenses lol

Interesting point: Rokkor vs Helios 44. Both 58mm. f/1.4 vs f/2. 6 blades vs 8 or 13 blades. I made my choice: Rokkor because of better optical characteristics of the glass itself (contrast, res, etc.). 13 blades of Helios is tempting for bokeh though...

The Helios has the swirly bokeh effect too.

After looking through lots of photos on flickriver, the Pentax 55mm 1.8 is going to be my next lens in that focal range. And I'll probably unload the Canon fd 50mm 1.4.

The Helios has the swirly bokeh effect too.

After looking through lots of photos on flickriver, the Pentax 55mm 1.8 is going to be my next lens in that focal range. And I'll probably unload the Canon fd 50mm 1.4.

Why unload the FD 50/1.4...that seems to be a much loved lens. Back when I had one I remember it being very good optically.

Just to keep from being overloaded. It doesn't get used much. When I grab a Pentax 55mm f2, then hunt for a Voigtlander 58mm 1.4, the fd will never get used.

Right now I am a bit partial again to the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f3.5(Nikon mount). I like it for wildlife shots and the colors are really nice, pleasant. Much better than in terms of contrast than the Minolta mount version I had paired with m4/3 camera.

Interesting point: Rokkor vs Helios 44. Both 58mm. f/1.4 vs f/2. 6 blades vs 8 or 13 blades. I made my choice: Rokkor because of better optical characteristics of the glass itself (contrast, res, etc.). 13 blades of Helios is tempting for bokeh though...

I have the Minolta 58 1.2, 1.4 and a Zeiss Biotar 58/2 on the workbench (the one the russians copied for the H44). Once I get it repaired, I am going to put the three next to each other and see about getting rid of one (the 58 1.2 is too front heavy for everyday use on my X-E1).

Okay, now after having used the XE1 for a couple of months I am revising my favorite lenses list quite a bit. Partly because of some recent acquisitions and partly because some lenses are proving to be better fits than others with the Fuji.

Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus (Komine made)
Smaller than the Rokkor 24/2.8 with a more comfortable EFL of 42mm. It also gives me a close focus option. Tends to be susceptible to flair. Not so much of an issue in WA state. If I had a Hexanon 24/2.8 it would be a dogfight for this spot.

Konica Hexanon 40/1.8
Small, light and sharp from f2.8 on up and contrasty. It really is a terrific match for the Fuji. Really benefits from a hood.

Rokkor 100/2.5
It's just a sweet lens with gorgeous rendering. I wish the MFD were better but you can't have everything.

Rokkor 135/2.8
The big floating ED element, a design that was also used by Leica, lovely sharpness, gorgeous bokeh...what's not to love?

Back