Micro 4/3 Favorite walkabout prime?

My daughter has the 45, and it is fine for portrait use, but to my eye , it's a bit soft for my use.
That's strange - my 45mm is an exceptionally sharp lens. Shallow DoF, perhaps? All fast lenses need stopping down for certain applications, but I'm sure you're aware of that. The 45mm does a very pleasing job at subject isolation - but that's not always what you want, of course. Stop it down to f/2.8 for even stronger IQ and a lot more DoF - it's a :mu43: lens, after all. It works well down to f/5.6 without any signs of diffraction (f/8 is possible as well, just a tad less crisp, but almost as good in the center as wide open).

The 30mm f/1.4 does even better at subject isolation at close quarters - and thus it also needs stopping down for compelling DoF, f/2.8 and f/4 are very useful and beautiful.

M.

Last minute possible change of plans. The wife decided she wants a short zoom for her Gf5. That will get me the P20 for my E-M5. I can live with the P20 just fine. I think it's a mistake, because she shoots people in low light, and does not like the flash color. I know that the white balance can be corrected. But, she is just a snap shooter, and does no camera adjustments. She has had some great wedding and family pictures with that little GF5 and the P20.
Now to break my own request for this thread. Short, tight budget, zoom for good quality photos? I've seen the P12-32 mentioned. Final choice, or other preference? Miracles not expected!

That's strange - my 45mm is an exceptionally sharp lens. Shallow DoF, perhaps? All fast lenses need stopping down for certain applications, but I'm sure you're aware of that. The 45mm does a very pleasing job at subject isolation - but that's not always what you want, of course. Stop it down to f/2.8 for even stronger IQ and a lot more DoF - it's a :mu43: lens, after all. It works well down to f/5.6 without any signs of diffraction (f/8 is possible as well, just a tad less crisp, but almost as good in the center as wide open).

The 30mm f/1.4 does even better at subject isolation at close quarters - and thus it also needs stopping down for compelling DoF, f/2.8 and f/4 are very useful and beautiful.

M.
I generally shoot at 5.6, with occasionally shift to others for shifting conditions.

12-32 is a great lens for its price unless you want more dof control going with f2.8 zooms...
Micro 4/3 Showcase - Panasonic 12-32 f/3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
Last minute possible change of plans. The wife decided she wants a short zoom for her Gf5. That will get me the P20 for my E-M5. I can live with the P20 just fine. I think it's a mistake, because she shoots people in low light, and does not like the flash color. I know that the white balance can be corrected. But, she is just a snap shooter, and does no camera adjustments. She has had some great wedding and family pictures with that little GF5 and the P20.
Now to break my own request for this thread. Short, tight budget, zoom for good quality photos? I've seen the P12-32 mentioned. Final choice, or other preference? Miracles not expected!

I had the 17/2.8 Oly pancake and really loved it. A bit slow at times, but the small size of the lens was a delight and I especially enjoyed how it drew in black and white:
_8051699.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit:
Oh, foo. That's what I get for not reading to the end of the thread!

Sigma 56/1.4. I like close up detail, flowers or a bit of tele in my landscape. It fits what I do, and has wonderful output, and is still pretty darn compact.

One of my favorite film cameras was the Olympus 35 SP ( I had hopes they would make a digital version), with its tack sharp 42mm lens. So though I more often than not have the 12-40 on my Pen F, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 makes a kit that feels very much like the 35 SP. So if I'm going to do general shooting with one prime lens, that's the one.

One of my favorite film cameras was the Olympus 35 SP ( I had hopes they would make a digital version), with its tack sharp 42mm lens. So though I more often than not have the 12-40 on my Pen F, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 makes a kit that feels very much like the 35 SP. So if I'm going to do general shooting with one prime lens, that's the one.

I put the p20 back on my E-M5. Makes a great casual shooter. A little wider than I prefer, but OK.

This thread has me feeling nostalgic for the original Oly 17mm......was it f2.8?

Slow to focus, but LOADED with character. I took a lot of my favorite photos with that thing. Maybe I should go looking for one. I think the last time I sold one it was around $100......surely they are still at around that price. If anyone has one to unload, give me a holler.

This thread has me feeling nostalgic for the original Oly 17mm......was it f2.8?

Slow to focus, but LOADED with character. I took a lot of my favorite photos with that thing. Maybe I should go looking for one. I think the last time I sold one it was around $100......surely they are still at around that price. If anyone has one to unload, give me a holler.
Been thinking the same thing. It and one of the low end pana bodies that has a view finder...

I have to agree with William and Luke and Andrew - about the slow and supposedly inferior Olympus 17mm f/2.8 - I owned two, briefly, on and off - and both times, the copies of the lens I had were astoundingly sharp and generally wonderful. That's the dreadful part about reading a thread like this - it makes one start thinking seriously....about how great some lenses are --- and from then it's but a hop, step and a quick jump to feeling one should re-acquire one.

Hmmmm..... 😜

Back