Leica Featured: 'A Few More from my Workshop' by Christilou

Yes I set it up for the summilux in the menu . Sad face because I wanted a sonar in the first place but read so much negative stuff about it not being optimised for wide open on the RF and having to adjust the focus all the time that I plumped for the tried and tested not to mention feted, Summilux! Matthews is six months old and has no problems in this regard so when he said that he has at least 8 different 50s and would be happy to sell me his Sonar, I jumped on it!!

What I like about it is it's Zeiss pop, it's colour/contrast and also the way it's bokeh still leaves enough of the background to put a subject into context. Also, it has a nice glow for b and w :)

The Sonnar rendering is unique, the optical formula designed in another age to cope with uncoated optics. I've taken a lot of Sonnar formula lenses apart and made some rough measurements of the optical components- it is an "Asymmetric Design"- a design that has pretty much fallen into disuse.

Lesson in History: The Magic of the “Value for Money” Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm F1.5 | THEME

Unique Blend of Compactness, Super Speed and Perfect Imperfections: 1930s Sonnar Lenses on the Leica M9 and M Monochrom | THEME

Two of my three Digital M's have Sonnars on them now, a rare event. Usually all three have Sonnars on them.

The images in the original post cover a wide range of styles and moods. It's very helpful to be able to see all of those together.

Back