Leica Featured: 'Fall biodiversity with Leica IIIb and Summar' by Mr Flibble

Mr_Flibble

All-Pro
Name
Rick
Went out for a walk to test a camera this last Sunday. It's been exceptionally warm this weekend for the time of year. So I took the opportunity to shoot some plant and animal life.

I got the Leica IIIb camera a couple of months ago. It came with a motor drive, but I'm missing the linkage part to use it properly with this camera. Luckily the camera also came with a regular base-plate.
The Leitz 50mm f/2 Summar lens is an early sample from 1936. The internal lens surfaces had some 70 years of grime coated too them. But luckily it cleaned up very well as you can see by the results. Like most of them this one has cleaning marks on the front element.
The Leica IIIb is a somewhat rare camera body, with only about 23000 made from 1938 to 1940 and a small batch in 1946.
It features the viewfinder/rangefinder setup of the later IIIc, but lacks the improved shutter and shutter housing, thus retaining the slightly smaller camera body. The camera needed a minimal clean and some exercise brought the slow speeds back on track.

The film I used for this test was one of the last remaining rolls of Fomapan 100 Classic. I exposed it as E.I.75 film and developed it in a 1+25 R09 "one-shot" solution for 6.5 minutes

1. Shrooomzzzz
3B141001.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Shadow lines
3B141003.jpg

3. Fly Agaric
3B141005.jpg

4. Albino
3B141006.jpg

5. Stumped
3B141008.jpg

6. Overflow of a local fen
3B141010.jpg

7. Lonely
3B141012.jpg

Now...to find that elusive MOOLY motor drive linkage arm.

I have an aging HP scanjet G4050, that I use with vuescan.

Negatives were scanned at 4800dpi, with the default generic film preset, and the black&white points set to 0.001.

Images were resized and had the contrast slightly adjusted in CS6.

Back