Featured Forum Thread: "Grassfire!" by kyteflyer

I should have cruised the entire thread . . . these are even better!

Well done.

Cheers, Jock

Here's more. I am SO impressed with the Nikon V1 + 30-110... It handled todays events without a hiccup. Magic. This set is about the firemen as well as the fire... but more about the workers. Geez I respect them!.

9515991934_2d870d16d6_b.jpg

Maryland Grassfire by kyte50, on Flickr

9513202099_6029b630dd_b.jpg

9515990864_c6fd5146f5_b.jpg

9513201051_a05ce30729_b.jpg

9515989344_f052ac972e_b.jpg

9515988348_a95d5cee04_b.jpg

9515986990_da73f2455a_b.jpg

9515986060_4cf4cd339c_b.jpg

Fire is such a scary thing in our beloved country - especially since it was once the greatest farming tool of its original custodians and the land evolved accordingly. Must say it's a weird time of year to have a fire out of control. Do you know if it was a spill from a controlled burn or deliberately lit?

Superb images Sue. (y) And, hey, you must also give the photographer some credit...though it's always good to hear folks are happy with their gear.

Sue, I almost skipped this thread. I was thinking what would I care about a grassfire. I'm glad I clicked. There's so many great photos here I had to move it to the front page to make sure no one else missed it. Great work. I imagine you can get some more great ones of the aftermath. I'm hoping for some gritty b/w.

Thanks, Luke, I'm glad you didn't skip it, but I cant think what else I would have called it :) And thanks for the front page, never thought I would be there... ever...

Plan is to go back in a while (its pretty cold right now... when the sun comes up properly) and see whats happening. The glow had disappeared from the sky by midnight last night (the fire was just a short distance from where I live) There may be some photo ops. I hope they wont be of animals which could not escape, but if they are, so be it.

Fire is such a scary thing in our beloved country - especially since it was once the greatest farming tool of its original custodians and the land evolved accordingly. Must say it's a weird time of year to have a fire out of control. Do you know if it was a spill from a controlled burn or deliberately lit?

Superb images Sue. (y) And, hey, you must also give the photographer some credit...though it's always good to hear folks are happy with their gear.

Thanks, Mark! I was pretty gobsmacked when I noticed the billowing smoke, when leaving the house yesterday... its the wrong time of year... but its been pretty dry here for the past couple of weeks, after weeks of rain, and there apparently is some suspicion that it was deliberate. My thinking is that it was probably some fool with a cigarette butt. It looked to me as if it had started off the walking path that runs between houses and the fields and wetlands. Anyway, the fire investigation people will be able to tell us what happened. IN the end, the fire fighters made a decision to let it burn, to get rid of the dry stuff which would threaten the houses even more in summer. I would not be surprised if theres backburning next month.

Sue, I almost skipped this thread. I was thinking what would I care about a grassfire. I'm glad I clicked.
I'd skipped it too until Luke put it on the front page. Good move Luke. GREAT shots. Very sad occurrence to see one of your favorite areas burn, but I guess when a fire starts out in nature, it generally needed to happen. Regardless, these shots are great. Feels like being there, but without all of the heat near the fire, and the cold away from it.

I hope its brought under control soon, but glad you're shooting it as long as it continues to burn...

-Ray

These are wonderful Sue. The burnt out tree surrounded by smoke is so apocalyptic. Great to read you are enjoying your little Nikon. Stay safe out there.

Here's more. I am SO impressed with the Nikon V1 + 30-110... It handled todays events without a hiccup. Magic. This set is about the firemen as well as the fire... but more about the workers. Geez I respect them!.

9515991934_2d870d16d6_b.jpg

9513202099_6029b630dd_b.jpg

9515990864_c6fd5146f5_b.jpg

9513201051_a05ce30729_b.jpg

9515989344_f052ac972e_b.jpg

9515988348_a95d5cee04_b.jpg

9515986990_da73f2455a_b.jpg

9515986060_4cf4cd339c_b.jpg

Such an amazing set. The circumstances are so interesting. The fire is awe- and fear-inspiring. The firefighters are heroic (is that the right word?). And the photography is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Sue, this picture needs to be published (and not just on Steve Huff's blog). This is PJ material, and could be an award-winning type photo, IMO. It should at least be framed and mounted. Did you share it with the fire department? They should print this and hang it somewhere. Best pic I've seen on a forum board recently. Maybe period.

Sue, this picture needs to be published (and not just on Steve Huff's blog). This is PJ material, and could be an award-winning type photo, IMO. It should at least be framed and mounted. Did you share it with the fire department? They should print this and hang it somewhere. Best pic I've seen on a forum board recently. Maybe period.

Gosh!! Thank you so much for this comment. I've sent a message to the particular crew which was photographed here but they have not responded. Lack of interest? Lord knows. Anyway I have offered them copies to have printed if they wish.

I would not have the first clue where to send a photo of that kind. Local news outlets get bombarded with shots, as they have been from this fire, and most of those were mediocre shots... and... even though it seems arrogant and probably is, I don't want my photograph sitting in the middle of 30+ really mediocre shots. A couple of other photographers also did a great job, and somehow the impact of theirs has been lost in amongst the dross. Its the same reason I never sent my good shot of the beached Pasha Bulker to anyone... perhaps I am just being precious. Oh well, dont care :)

Here's the PB shot.
View attachment 74662

Local news outlets get bombarded with shots, as they have been from this fire, and most of those were mediocre shots... and... even though it seems arrogant and probably is, I don't want my photograph sitting in the middle of 30+ really mediocre shots. A couple of other photographers also did a great job, and somehow the impact of theirs has been lost in amongst the dross. Its the same reason I never sent my good shot of the beached Pasha Bulker to anyone... perhaps I am just being precious. Oh well, dont care :)

I don't think you are being arrogant at all. IMO it's healthy to have an honest respect for your craft. I pulled out of the PPG for similar reasons, and I've done nothing as impactful as your Grassfire! series.

The only thing precious here are your photos, a very fine pictorial record of these events.

Great sets of what must have been heartbreaking action. The fire will be good for the grassland and the waterfowl are old enough to escape, but it looks bad for the tree.

Gosh!! Thank you so much for this comment. I've sent a message to the particular crew which was photographed here but they have not responded. Lack of interest? Lord knows. Anyway I have offered them copies to have printed if they wish.

I would not have the first clue where to send a photo of that kind. Local news outlets get bombarded with shots, as they have been from this fire, and most of those were mediocre shots... and... even though it seems arrogant and probably is, I don't want my photograph sitting in the middle of 30+ really mediocre shots. A couple of other photographers also did a great job, and somehow the impact of theirs has been lost in amongst the dross. Its the same reason I never sent my good shot of the beached Pasha Bulker to anyone... perhaps I am just being precious. Oh well, dont care :)

Here's the PB shot.
View attachment 75694

Love the PB shot! Wonderful, atmospheric photo of the ship - and that vulture makes it!

Back