Featured Forum Thread: 'Sony A7 With Canon 50mm 0.95 Dream Lens' by Vidar

Vidar

Veteran
Name
Vidar
11134028074_40913d4f5f_c.jpg

Sony A7 With Canon 50mm 0.95 Dream Lens by VidarFoto, on Flickr
Just got my brand new Sony A7. And finally I have a full frame sensor for my old Canon 50mm f 0.95 "Dream Lens". Took this combo with my on a walk today, here are some of the pictures I took. All shot wide open. Stop reading if you don´t like pictures of trees or super thin DoF:)

View attachment 81244

View attachment 81245

View attachment 81246

View attachment 81247

View attachment 81248

View attachment 81249

View attachment 81250

View attachment 81251

View attachment 81252

View attachment 81253

View attachment 81254

View attachment 81255

View attachment 81256

View attachment 81257

The A7 is really great to use with old manual focus lenses.

Thanks for looking!

wow man! how can you actual focus that thing. im really having a hard time getting anything in focus with the 50 1.4 lux. Im even thinking the lens is faulty or something.

great stuff.

unusable DOF for the win!. heheheh!

Now that is an unbelievable (for it's day) and very rare lens! I wonder how usable it is when stopped down? I'm going to have to say that at f/0.95 I don't like how it completely takes over from the subject material, although what it does produce has it's own artistic value of course.

Now that is an unbelievable (for it's day) and very rare lens! I wonder how usable it is when stopped down? I'm going to have to say that at f/0.95 I don't like how it completely takes over from the subject material, although what it does produce has it's own artistic value of course.

I'm with you on this, Nic… interesting but after a bit of viewing I get a bit cross-eyed and disoriented; can only imagine what these are like full screen or printed large. If Vidar had not stated how he shot these, most would have guessed some funky kind of PP software! But I am a sucker for low DOF so I can't blame others for trying to find the limits… this might be it. ;)

Thanks for comments!

I know this lens is not for everyone. But I like the bokeh :) I guess it is a matter of taste. It is not a lens i use often, but It brings something special I feel.

Focusing it is really no big problem on the A7. I feel it is a great camera to use old manual focus lenses on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My honest opinion: for such a large aperture, that lens sure produces extremely harsh and unpleasant to look at bokeh. Does the Canon lens behave the same way on other cameras or is it the Sony that's at fault here?

My honest opinion: this lens produces beautiful to look at bokeh.

But hey, that´s taste :)

The lens is famous for this, it is not the Sony´s "fault".

My honest opinion: for such a large aperture, that lens sure produces extremely harsh and unpleasant to look at bokeh. Does the Canon lens behave the same way on other cameras or is it the Sony that's at fault here?

In my opinion the quality of the bokeh is down to the subject matter too. Twigs, sticks and foliage (busy stuff) Don't float my boat either.
But as it has been rightly pointed out, it is a matter of taste. I would like to see more examples from this lens camera combo . But something less harsh.

hello, i really like the effect on the photos.
How can you put a canon lens on the sony camera, and does the auto focus and all work good?
thanx

Back