Fuji Featured: 'New York Botanical Garden with the XF 60/2.8 and 23/1.4' by Mikey

Mikey

Veteran
It was the start of the orchid exhibit at the NYBG so I borrowed my wife's 60/2.4 for macro shooting and thought I'd also bring along the 23/1.4 to give it some much deserved love.

The 60/2.4 is a stellar lens, razor sharp except slow to focus. But never mind the AF (which has gotten better with FW updates), the bigger questions are: 1) Why didn't Fuji put OIS in it? and 2) Why didn't they make it a true 1:1 macro lens? Thankfully, the former issue can be mitigated by the built-in TTL flash.

I've never been much of a flower person but good thing am always up for a challenge. Here are a few of my faves...

DSCF5013-L.jpg

DSCF5024-L.jpg

DSCF5040-L.jpg

A B&W...
DSCF5041-L.jpg

A nonflower macro...
DSCF5046-L.jpg

Had some time to kill before my wife could come home from work so skedaddled on over to the garden library before closing time. There really was nothing outdoors to shoot and it was too damn cold anyways. I decided to stick with the 23/1.4 this time around. And before the hour was over, boy was I reminded of how much I love this lens.

All shot wide-open...
DSCF5058-L.jpg

DSCF5059-L.jpg

DSCF5060-L.jpg

This last one was slightly stopped down...
DSCF5052-L.jpg

Oh, and my dog Charlie who was patiently waiting for me back home...
DSCF4668-L.jpg

Great shots! The 60mm look great indeed.
Thanks! It really is a stellar IQ lens. It's just the lens body itself that I'm not happy with.

Fun and some great compositions.
Thanks, John! Much appreciated.

Love the colors! :D

I haven't been to the New York Botanical Garden, so maybe I'll venture out that way in a few weeks!
If you're willing to drive 2 hours, the Longwood Gardens is the best garden I've seen. I haven't been back since I was a micro four thirds user touting my 60/2.8. Reminds me that I have to go back soon. :D

Just remember that NYBG is closed on Mondays. I made the mistake of driving all the way down there only to realize that the hard way.

Mikey, I apologize for not writing in response to these absolutely beautiful photos of yours when I first saw them. I don't think I can choose a "favorite" because they're all very well done. The close up of the orchid is stellar and I think Georgia O'Keeffe would be enamored! As much as I love the colors of the flower images, the resounding image quality, as well as the view itself, of that first staircase picture is really remarkable - the brass knob against the black...and the view down...with the yellowish color in the upper right... It's a beautiful picture. As I said, I like them all very much - including Charlie.:2thumbs:

Mikey, I apologize for not writing in response to these absolutely beautiful photos of yours when I first saw them. I don't think I can choose a "favorite" because they're all very well done. The close up of the orchid is stellar and I think Georgia O'Keeffe would be enamored! As much as I love the colors of the flower images, the resounding image quality, as well as the view itself, of that first staircase picture is really remarkable - the brass knob against the black...and the view down...with the yellowish color in the upper right... It's a beautiful picture. As I said, I like them all very much - including Charlie.:2thumbs:

Thank you very much for that very thoughtfull commentary. I'd be lucky if Georgia O'Keefe would even bother to look at my orchid shot. :p Am glad you liked the stair case shot -- wasn't sure which I liked better. I was lucky that the 23/1.4's AF was snappy on my X-E2 'coz that was the same security guard who as soon as she got up the staircase, started hurriedly walking back down again. And Charlie's quite photogenic for a black-haired dog (usually harder to give them justice on photographs)

Please don't apologize. We're all busy people which is why I always highly appreciate any and all comments and am grateful for anyone that even takes a moment to look at my shots.

Great images. I too love the lens but wish for the same things you do.

To answer your questions though, I think it is because this lens is older and developed well before Fuji realized they could be a force in the mirrorless realm. The lens will undoubtedly be updated but probably not for a few years as Fuji expands it's lens line up.

Well, you're very understanding. I could probably have written more but dinner and the PBS New Hour calls!

Give Charlie a pat for me!

Thanks again! It's 5AM here and Charlie and I have been awake since 3pm -- I'm giving her a pat while she sits on my lap and I surf the net. :p

Great images. I too love the lens but wish for the same things you do.

To answer your questions though, I think it is because this lens is older and developed well before Fuji realized they could be a force in the mirrorless realm. The lens will undoubtedly be updated but probably not for a few years as Fuji expands it's lens line up.

Thanks very much for stopping by and chiming in. Much, much appreciated!!!

I ditched the lens in favor of a 56/1.2. I'm tempted to get the Zeiss 50/2.8 but might wait for a (very unlikely to be released) 100/2.8 OIS macro from Fuji. That would be a heaven-sent. I think the 60/2.4 overlaps with the 56/1.2 too much to justify owning both even if the former has macro.

Back