Feedback Feedback wanted from members on text links to affiliates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amin

Hall of Famer
Hi all, I am experimenting with a plugin that converts camera names to links to B&H. For example, I have it enabled now for the Canon G7X, so anytime someone writes "G7X" it will automatically link that to the B&H page for that camera.

My question is, will this be too annoying? I'll be choosing the terms specifically, so it's not gonna link to some wrong page. And there will never be any popups. Just a significant increase ink links to B&H. I think it'll help a lot in increasing affiliate revenue, which is at an all-time low and has been an important part of paying the bills here.

Please vote and let me know.

I was about to ask for an example to see if it would be irritating. And then I realized you had it in place. On my monitor, I can't even see a difference. I'm totally cool with it.

I was about to ask for an example to see if it would be irritating. And then I realized you had it in place. On my monitor, I can't even see a difference. I'm totally cool with it.

In the gray site style it is basically invisible.

I'd only vote "irrelevant" rather than "annoying" because it is largely useless to anyone outside the US. The taxes and customs for importing anything into Europe from America are punitive - I know because I have been stung more than once and won't do it again. I understand the need, but is there any way to link the linkage (if you see what I mean) to the location of the logged-in IP address?

I think it is a good thing. Beyond the ease to purchase it provides a direct link to specs about the item at hand. From that standpoint it does have some value globally.

I have no issue with it. I'm not buying from B&H at the moment (haven't for a while, because Aus prices have actually been better over the last couple of years) but I still look to see what the prices are like and will buy if it works for me financially. Having embedded links like this is much easier than seeking out that affiliate link which I seem to keep losing.

Thanks, all. I'll put in the links in the default site styles and create site styles that don't use the links. So there will be an option for those who don't like 'em.

Here's a little bug Amin. Type LX100 and you get a link to the X100. Probably others, but I just stumbled on that one. Given that most every camera is some variant of Xs and 1s and 0s today it may be tough to avoid.

RX100
RX10

Here's a little bug Amin. Type LX100 and you get a link to the X100. Probably others, but I just stumbled on that one. Given that most every camera is some variant of Xs and 1s and 0s today it may be tough to avoid.

RX100
RX10

Should be fixed now. Had to be set to match whole words only. Thanks, Dean.

Wow, I just did a post where I managed to mention I think three different cameras, and when I posted it, they all came up in red and were linked straight through to B&H. I thought'd I'd done some amazing slight of hand without even realizing it. But no, Amin at work! I don't have any problem with it. Pretty cool actually.

-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back