Feeling apathetic !

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
So it goes. Lately I've been really trying to stay interested in my photography. Bought my first SLR in 1973. I have had low spots over the years but this one I'm in now is pretty serious.
Not happy ! Nothing to do with gear, although I think my days with cameras without viewfinders are numbered. (Ricoh, now would be a good time for a GR with pop up viewfinder in a new GR) . GAS. Thinking of new gear is not working either. After trying a few other cameras (inc Leica Q) I conclude that there isn't anything better than my GX8. The tilting VF is a godsend when you have builders knees that are shot to sh*t !!
Anybody else out there struggling with photographic apathy ?

Hopefully your hump will be over. I've seen your great shots.

I don't spent too much time specificaly to photography, but I try to capture what I see when we are out... It is meditating for me. I am using more and more 1" sensor zoom cameras in a small package esp I can capture a bird with the extended zoom, and then a wide angle sunset... I use them at work for occasional field trips also. We have many choices now for gear, but GR needs an update:)

Hey Garry, been there done that got the T shirt and washed and dried it a few times. I find myself in the same position as you but for different reasons. The feeling is coming back....but not full on as it was previously. I think I mistook normality for disinterest. I don't think you will ever stop, and nor should you. Your work resonates with a lot of people here (and no doubt elsewhere) The Ricoh in your hands is a magic box.

My parkinson medication made me fixated with photography. I was up at dawn, and earlier...or out at 10pm and later shooting everything and anything in sight.. Scores of shots daily for 6 or 7 years. Now I am off those meds my shooting rate has become that of a normal person. It is a huge change and; as I said earlier......I mistook that for lack of any interest.

Don't worry too much about it. Take a break if necessary but have your camera with you and just use it when the feeling pops into your head. I am sure it will pick up again.

All the best

Pete

It happens, no need to lose sleep over it. I've asked myself why TF I'm doing it in the first place a couple times, what really fascinates me about it (it ain't gear, lol) only to realize that I'm looking and moving in that direction anyway most of the time. I'm slowly getting back into painting these days and don't even think about if I'll take any shots at all during the next couple months, or continue to paint or whatever - it either happens or not - time will tell - I couldn't care less.

Anybody else out there struggling with photographic apathy ?
Not right now, but it does happen, often in late winter. A new lens or camera certainly helps when that happens to me.

Another thing that has helped me from time to time is to go retro. If I needed a boost in my enthusiasm right now I would seriously consider the Instax SQ10. Here is a review I liked, by an actual photographer who spent time with the camera, unlike a lot of SQ10 reviews:

This past winter I used the BitCam app on my iPhone to good effect. It takes very simple black and white bitmapped photos. It is surprisingly difficult to to get a good looking exposure.

BitCam on the App Store

My BitCam gallery here:

Bitcam

In 2014 I bought a large sensor (2/3") compact with an EVF, the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which was new in 2004. In 2014 it cost me less than $100.00, including buying a CF card and reader. I got a lot more than $100.00 of fun out of it.

Nikon Coolpix 8400 Review

Photographers can have "the one that got away," for a lot less money than someone looking for the car or guitar they wanted when they were younger.

Last edited:
I know *exactly* what you're saying, Garry. I'm there, too. Its not that I don't *want* to take photographs, it is that I want to take photographs that have some meaning, and for the last couple of years, I havent been able to find that. Whether thats down to attitude or a lost capacity to "see", I have no clue.

The reasons are different for all of us, but I get what you are saying about the gear. It just isnt that. I mean, getting new gear doesnt solve the problem or the issue. My cameras are nice. They arent the latest and greatest but they work. I'd probably like a GX85, but I'm not likely to get one until/unless I sell my DSLR and Nikon1 gear and I havent really made any serious efforts in that direction. (Sold my DA55-300 on Friday, guess it will be a bit at a time). In the meantime, theres the LX100, and the FZ1000 for most of what I am wanting cameras for. And the iPhone 6S for random stuff. But no new gear until...

To keep myself motivated and to justify walking the pug and to explore my local area I have a couple of photography projects which I niggle away at. One is based on photographing local waymarks, that is all sorts of physical attributes of my local area listed at Waymarking - A scavenger hunt for unique and interesting locations in the world.

It is providing a few challenges for sure ... Maybe you can do something similar if sounds interesting?

I was getting a bit burnt out last year so I bought a TG-870 for Christmas and started a Project365...

It's pretty refreshing to be able to slip it into your pocket at work or play and forget about it until you need it... It's looking pretty war-torn after 5 months of use but it's been bloody hard use and I treat this style of camera like a consumable anyway...

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Give yourself and assignment and a deadline by which to get it done.

2. Find a non-profit organization you like (Salvation Army, food bank, the Ohio Home for Unwed Bowlers, whatever) and offer to help. Shoot a series on what they do and how they help people . . . OR . . . shoot some beautiful pictures, print them and frame them, and give them to the organization to beautify their space.

Finally, a joke. Did you hear about the guy who was doing the survey on apathy on college campuses? The first guy he approached said: "Like who cares man?"

Cheers, Jock

I have experienced something similar to what you describe, Garry. While I have found photography to be a deeply satisfying activity in my life, there are times when it has felt like more work than it's worth.

GAS wasn't a bit factor for me; lots of kids, not a lot of discretionary spending put an end to that. Just as well. I don't think the X-Pan would have worked out the way I hoped, anyway. I have modest talents and minimal time to invest; it's not the camera holding me back.

It seems to me that re-engaging with photography comes when we find a new way of seeing things. That's not an easy thing to rush. Perhaps like Peter, I have found that looking at the curated work of accomplished photographers work for a period was helpful in understanding some new possibilities. I have found that following the arc of a particular photographer is informative. Hiroshi Watanabe was, for me, a real inspiration even though I don't seek to emulate his work. But his way of seeing things woke me up again. New places help, too. The chance to see different landscapes and different light - that too forces new techniques and perspectives.

I agree with Tilman also, about setting the camera aside until it becomes a pleasure rather than a chore. He's right on that, for sure. The camera will call you when it's the right time.

You've shared some really outstanding images on the site. It may be that the present apathy is just a inevitable pause for reflection, one that's necessary to take the next step in mastering photography.

It happens, no need to lose sleep over it. I've asked myself why TF I'm doing it in the first place a couple times, what really fascinates me about it (it ain't gear, lol) only to realize that I'm looking and moving in that direction anyway most of the time. I'm slowly getting back into painting these days and don't even think about if I'll take any shots at all during the next couple months, or continue to paint or whatever - it either happens or not - time will tell - I couldn't care less.

If I could paint I probably would never have picked up a camera in the first place . I've tried a number of times over the years. I'm crap !! lol

Not right now, but it does happen, often in late winter. A new lens or camera certainly helps when that happens to me.

Another thing that has helped me from time to time is to go retro. If I needed a boost in my enthusiasm right now I would seriously consider the Instax SQ10. Here is a review I liked, by an actual photographer who spent time with the camera, unlike a lot of SQ10 reviews:

This past winter I used the BitCam app on my iPhone to good effect. It takes very simple black and white bitmapped photos. It is surprisingly difficult to to get a good looking exposure.

BitCam on the App Store

My BitCam gallery here:

Bitcam

In 2014 I bought a large sensor (2/3") compact with an EVF, the Nikon Coolpix 8400, which was new in 2004. In 2014 it cost me less than $100.00, including buying a CF card and reader. I got a lot more than $100.00 of fun out of it.

Nikon Coolpix 8400 Review

Photographers can have "the one that got away," for a lot less money than someone looking for the car or guitar they wanted when they were younger.

Must admit I like the look of the Fuji Instax . Thanks for the link . As for phone apps, I've tried loads. I like most of them. The problem is the Phone. Its never pick up and shoot like even a basic compact. My little used stand by Android phone will take a photo if i say "Shoot" ! I like that. Why can't my iPhone do that. Why can't I just say shoot to my GoPro. By the time I've said "GoPro take photo" The hang gliding albino wombat is gone out of sight !

I know *exactly* what you're saying, Garry. I'm there, too. Its not that I don't *want* to take photographs, it is that I want to take photographs that have some meaning, and for the last couple of years, I havent been able to find that. Whether thats down to attitude or a lost capacity to "see", I have no clue.

The reasons are different for all of us, but I get what you are saying about the gear. It just isnt that. I mean, getting new gear doesnt solve the problem or the issue. My cameras are nice. They arent the latest and greatest but they work. I'd probably like a GX85, but I'm not likely to get one until/unless I sell my DSLR and Nikon1 gear and I havent really made any serious efforts in that direction. (Sold my DA55-300 on Friday, guess it will be a bit at a time). In the meantime, theres the LX100, and the FZ1000 for most of what I am wanting cameras for. And the iPhone 6S for random stuff. But no new gear until...

Have a look through the viewfinder of the GX85/80 before you part with your cash Sue. I checked one out yesterday. I just couldn't get it in focus. Well I could. But if the center
was in focus the info at the bottom wasn't . And vice versa . My GX8 on the other hand is fabulous :) Even preferred it to the high res Leica Q vf.

I was getting a bit burnt out last year so I bought a TG-870 for Christmas and started a Project365...

It's pretty refreshing to be able to slip it into your pocket at work or play and forget about it until you need it... It's looking pretty war-torn after 5 months of use but it's been bloody hard use and I treat this style of camera like a consumable anyway...

I have a GoPro that hangs with me most places. Great bit of kit but still to slow off the mark. I can still get a shot off quicker with my GRD1V .
perhaps I should loos the GoPro and get a tough Olympus ?

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Give yourself and assignment and a deadline by which to get it done.

2. Find a non-profit organization you like (Salvation Army, food bank, the Ohio Home for Unwed Bowlers, whatever) and offer to help. Shoot a series on what they do and how they help people . . . OR . . . shoot some beautiful pictures, print them and frame them, and give them to the organization to beautify their space.

Finally, a joke. Did you hear about the guy who was doing the survey on apathy on college campuses? The first guy he approached said: "Like who cares man?"

Cheers, Jock

An assignment might just be a good idea. Cheers Jock.

Been there, still there. Got laid off end of February after 15 years at the same company and now that I have tons of time (after walking the dog and looking for work) I find anything that takes any creativity (photography, painting, fiber arts) is not appealing.

Sounds like you are in a worse place than me ! Photography for me is still appealing . Its a loss of motivation I think I am suffering.

Back