News FF D800 finally introduced .. the most compact FF DSLR with 36MP Sensor!

I read they are almost 80 MBs! That might tax your average laptops processor too.

Here's my conversation with the Gateway sales rep on the phone back in 1992.

Me: Should I get the 20 MB hard drive for the tower desktop or upgrade to the 40 MB hard drive?
Sales: Frankly, 40 MB is over the top. You will never need more than 8 MB.
Me: Thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

Here's my conversation with the Gateway sales rep on the phone back in 1992.

Me: Should I get the 20 MB hard drive for the tower desktop or upgrade to the 40 MB hard drive?
Sales: Frankly, 40 MB is over the top. You will never need more than 8 MB.
Me: Thanks! I appreciate your feedback.

It was a good suggestion, isn't it, you wont be able to copy half image from D800 on the whole 40mb drive anyways :D

On a serious note, 36MP should be genrating file size less than 24MB in RAW. Also if you downsize the resolution settings to lets say 9 MP Medium quality, you will get very sharp and noise less photos. But am not 100% sure if the body allows lower resolution RAW files!

I was reading through the DPReview Preview on the camera. So unless I misunderstood, you can mount both DX and FX lenses on this camera, and because of 36.3 megapixel sensor, on mounting an DX lenses one gets an APSC sensor size which takes pics at 15.3 megapixels. What happens to the rest of the sensor? Won't there be black banding all around the pic?

I was reading through the DPReview Preview on the camera. So unless I misunderstood, you can mount both DX and FX lenses on this camera, and because of 36.3 megapixel sensor, on mounting an DX lenses one gets an APSC sensor size which takes pics at 15.3 megapixels. What happens to the rest of the sensor? Won't there be black banding all around the pic?

As I understand it, the camera simply captures the DX size image, if you have it set to that. Think of it as a cropped image. It probably captures a FF image, then crops out the "unused" portion of the image. You end up with a 15 MP APS RAW file. It also has a 5:4 portrait option.

As I understand it, the camera simply captures the DX size image, if you have it set to that. Think of it as a cropped image. It probably captures a FF image, then crops out the "unused" portion of the image. You end up with a 15 MP APS RAW file. It also has a 5:4 portrait option.

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply. Does the cropping happens in-camera? Does the camera automatically adjust for a DX lens? What implication would it have on the DOF? It sounds great to be able to mount an DX lens, especially for wildlife photography where reach would matter!

Here's a thought... why is it not possible to have such a camera with the potential for amazing IQ ("approaching medium format" - have you seen a good medium format image? - wow!) but without all of the power and complexity ofthe D800. Just focus on the core photographic requirements. I suppose the medium format digital cameras do this; they don't have all of the capabilities of the D800, just amazing IQ. Sure, just get a medium format camera*, but the D800 is only $3000 compared tens of thousands.

As it stands, were I to buy the D800 I'd feel that I was buying a really high-end Mercedes when all I really need is a really nice bike (like a Rivendell). They both might give the same pleasure, but one does not have heated seats and a 400 gigawatt stereo.

BTW I'm not in the market for such a camera, but if I could be serious about my nature photography I would be.

But your "really high end Mercedes" is at a "bargain" price - relatively speaking

It seems that with the D800 you will get what you want at a price a lot less that you thought possible - just ignore the other 75% of what the camera gives and you will have what you want.

if the cropped sensor to DX is as good as the rest - it seems to have the best of both worlds - FX and DX - 35mm, (FF), wides and DX long reach

OK - it's heavy - just train your wife to carry all your kit!!!!!

Hey Andrew, thanks for the reply. Does the cropping happens in-camera? Does the camera automatically adjust for a DX lens? What implication would it have on the DOF? It sounds great to be able to mount an DX lens, especially for wildlife photography where reach would matter!
Hi Andrew and Boid, there won't be any cropping, the readout will be only from the central part. My assumption is based on the fact, that in DX mode the speed increases, while if it would be doing cropping it should decreases.

Yes DX lenses will be lighter and tighter .. (y)
but i would only consider those lenses if you are worried more for 36MP file sizes, and huge FF lens sizes. Oterwise, you can crop from the mid in post processing without any loss of details compared to taking photo in DX Mode. Remember its same lens and same sensor, just taking things from the center of the image circle.

My A77 generates a 24Mb RAW file. When set to take RAW+fine JPEG, you have a file size of around 36Mb total. When set to extra fine JPEG only, the file can go to around 18Mb. So the file sizes are going to be huge. My system is a i5 quad overclocked to 4Ghz with 8Gb of memory and it hesitates for around 1.5 seconds to open one of these huge jpegs so there should be some pretty good stuttering computers thrashing these files when this beast comes out.

Prices excluding VAT are not that different from US prices. Also, when comparing, you have to add 8%-10% sales tax to US prices as the ones shown are always excl. sales taxes.

Back