Film FiF '17 - Jose

jssaraiva

Top Veteran
Name
José
This is my thread for the Film challenge, February edition.

Not much to post yet. I was not sure which of the recently acquired camera I'd use: Olympus XA2 or Pentax 6x7. I've selected the Olympus, but couldn't find that damn small thing so had to go with the P67 :love:

This might also solve a problem I raised myself: the lag it would take from the shooting to the showing month. With 10 frames per roll, I've already left the first roll at the lab, so hope to be able to post all images in March.

Let's see how it goes. HP5 so far.

IMG_5278.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my thread for the Film challenge, February edition.

Not much to post yet. I was not sure which of the recently acquired camera I'd use: Olympus XA2 or Pentax 6x7. I've selected the Olympus, but couldn't find that damn small thing so had to go with the P67 :love:

This might also solve a problem I raised myself: the lag it would take from the shooting to the showing month. With 10 frames per roll, I've already left the first roll at the lab, so hope to be able to post all images in March.

Let's see how it goes. HP5 so far.

View attachment 1275
What a camera; I'm really glad I went for the Pentacon Six, or this would call out to me big time (pun intended). Re: the lab thing - good thinking, though I'll try to stick to the "one month, one roll" scheme, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't choose that again. If you see something interesting, you should be able to get a shot even if the day's shot has already been taken (okay, you got a couple of extras, but one never knows ...). My solution is a pretty clumsy one: Carry one (or more) additional cameras. I often do that, but *having* to do it out of exasperation is kind of, well, irritating.

M.

Day 1

Just to remind the context, I'd just purchased an almost new (40 years old, like myself) Pentax 6x7 MLU. I've bough it from a shop with a good return policy, so I wanted to try several rolls ASAP to check if all was working well.

So, here is my very first picture with this camera (with Ilford HP5+ and SMC Pentax 105mm f/2.4).

32800684490_19d89db761_b.jpg

Sightseeing by José Saraiva, on Flickr

Day 1

Just to remind the context, I'd just purchased an almost new (40 years old, like myself) Pentax 6x7 MLU. I've bough it from a shop with a good return policy, so I wanted to try several rolls ASAP to check if all was working well.

So, here is my very first picture with this camera (with Ilford HP5+ and SMC Pentax 105mm f/2.4).

View attachment 1308

Pentax 6x7 Porto 1 by José Saraiva, on Flickr
... and the advantages of format, camera and optics are immediately visible! Great start!

M.

Day 3

Still focusing more on the technical side of things, film was proceed and scanned (4035x3035 Tiff) at a local lab, total cost with film: 10 Eur. Not bad, for sure I wouldn't be using much film if these costs were not reasonable. As you can see if you follow the link to Flickr and open the original size (E.g.: All sizes | Windows | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) resolution is quite good.
Windows

Initial version:

CNV000006_v2-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Re-edited:
32366553894_aa22d7a31c_b.jpg

Windows by José Saraiva, on Flickr

Day 3

Still focusing more on the technical side of things, film was proceed and scanned (4035x3035 Tiff) at a local lab, total cost with film: 10 Eur. Not bad, for sure I wouldn't be using much film if these costs were not reasonable. As you can see if you follow the link to Flickr and open the original size (E.g.: All sizes | Windows | Flickr - Photo Sharing!) resolution is quite good.

View attachment 1312Windows

by José Saraiva, on Flickr
They did a pretty good job on those images! You're pretty lucky with your prices - I'd pay almost four times that for reasonably good scanning (and six times that for high-resolution scanning). That's why I'm really glad that I got B&W scanning down sufficiently well at home. Colour is another matter, however - I've yet to find a way of controlling that. As of yet, it's hit and miss, even though I've become a bit better at judging settings.

I really like your work with lines here, though I'd actually waited a little bit longer to get those two people in the corner into a more interesting spot (below the clothes line). This way, it looks a little like you were photobombed here. But framing is very well judged otherwise - lots to position and align here, very nice leading lines as a result - and very well exposed!

M.

They did a pretty good job on those images! You're pretty lucky with your prices - I'd pay almost four times that for reasonably good scanning (and six times that for high-resolution scanning). That's why I'm really glad that I got B&W scanning down sufficiently well at home. Colour is another matter, however - I've yet to find a way of controlling that. As of yet, it's hit and miss, even though I've become a bit better at judging settings.

I really like your work with lines here, though I'd actually waited a little bit longer to get those two people in the corner into a more interesting spot (below the clothes line). This way, it looks a little like you were photobombed here. But framing is very well judged otherwise - lots to position and align here, very nice leading lines as a result - and very well exposed!

M.

Thanks for the comments. I've been actually photobombed there, I've not notice the people entering the framed area. Haven't also noticed when chimping :) Only saw it when loading the picture and hoped it wasn't very visible, but I was quickly proved wrong and so re-edited the photo (edited post above to include both versions).

Day 4

Changed now to the 55mm F/4 lens, SMC Pentax latest version.

One of the girls on the left asked me afterwards to take them a picture, with her phone. Seeing I was having trouble handling both the P67 and the phone, offered to hold the camera for me. I must have made a kind of "my precious" look while holding the Pentax tighter. She got the point!

32384976744_d1690257a9_b.jpg

Friendly birds by José Saraiva, on Flickr

Day 5

Trying different perspective options with the 55mm f/4 (+-28mm equivalent on a 35mm camera) vs the 105mm (+-50mm equiv.)

It is visible on the photo that this was taken on the "Cais da Estiva" something like "Dock of Stevedores" in English. However, today the biggest part of boats docking are tourist ones. Almost a different Era.

32855030620_e6d4bb1e77_b.jpg

Cais do Smart Phone by José Saraiva, on Flickr

Day 6

Today I'm breaking a bit the sequence, and jump to roll nr 2, to have more diversity.

Pictures taken at my home town market, that I haven't visited for many years, but had recently been there for the SiJ'17.

Still Ilford HP5 plus and back to 105mm f/2.4

32888696290_ecbc9547b7_b.jpg

Mercado Matosinhos by José Saraiva, on Flickr

Day 5

Trying different perspective options with the 55mm f/4 (+-28mm equivalent on a 35mm camera) vs the 105mm (+-50mm equiv.)

It is visible on the photo that this was taken on the "Cais da Estiva" something like "Dock of Stevedores" in English. However, today the biggest part of boats docking are tourist ones. Almost a different Era.
Nice capture. I look at a building like that and think that it must have seen many different stories through the decades. Stories of hope, stories of despair, possibly stories of tragedy. This is quite the evocative photo.

Day 6

Today I'm breaking a bit the sequence, and jump to roll nr 2, no have more diversity.

Pictures taken at my home town market, that I haven't visited for many years, but had recently been there for the SiJ'17.

Still Ilford HP5 plus and back to 105mm f/2.4

View attachment 1327

Mercado Matosinhos by José Saraiva, on Flickr
I do like the way this lens achieves subject isolation and neat sharpness roll-off in one go - that's how it should be.

More importantly, very nice ambience and people shot - well framed, too. I really like that one :)

Almost as an afterthought: That's a good showing from the old HP5+ - that film shines on MF (note to self: stock that one!).

M.

I do like the way this lens achieves subject isolation and neat sharpness roll-off in one go - that's how it should be.

More importantly, very nice ambience and people shot - well framed, too. I really like that one :)

Almost as an afterthought: That's a good showing from the old HP5+ - that film shines on MF (note to self: stock that one!).

M.

Thanks! I've used HP5+ for many years, but more recently and influenced by all the comments on forums and reviews, I've started to use Tri-X. However, it never really grew up on me (and it even had a higher cost), so I've decided to go back to HP5+.

I'll also check out Tri-X; Chris Gambat had a glowing review on his site (ThePhoblographer) that indicates for me that it might be comparable to me current favourite (Acros 100, still). But I have a sweet spot for the even and natural reproduction you get with HP5+. And I prefer ISO 400 film on my MF cameras in general - especially the SLRs with their huge mirrors profit from shorter shutter speeds; on the other hand, you can shoot with less light, of course - which comes in handy when your brightest lens is f/2.8 or f/3.5; I actually envy you your 105mm f/2.4 - what a nice lens to have. But my Sekor 75mm f/3.5 and Biometar 85mm f/2.8 MC are no slouches, either.

I'll actually get one Pentacon Six completely overhauled - I like the camera enough to make such a move worth it; depending on what additional enhancements I add, I'll get away with something between 240 and 360 Euros for a camera that's not only as good as new, but has all conceptual weaknesses removed ...

M.

I'll actually get one Pentacon Six completely overhauled - I like the camera enough to make such a move worth it; depending on what additional enhancements I add, I'll get away with something between 240 and 360 Euros for a camera that's not only as good as new, but has all conceptual weaknesses removed ...
M.

The Pentacon Six system is great, some of the finest lenses of any system. I've tried a couple before going the Pentax route, but both had mechanical problems. If you can get a good overhaul guy, it sure is worth it.

Back