Film FiF '17 - Jose

Day 28

This will be my last image of the challenge. I only have a couple of images left and since on the last days I couldn't not post and by coincidence February only had 28 days and this is the last day of the following month (long sentence, sorry...) it is a natural conclusion, also with an image from my city kind of fading into the distance.

I'll try to share some experiences latter on.

This was with Fomapan 200.

33376901350_77b8578f4d_b.jpg

Margem
by José Saraiva, on Flickr

So, some remarks, more focused on the camera:

1) All photos hand held. There is a big myth online that with a P67 this is not possible ;)
2) It is not so hard to carry it arround. Just get a confortable and long strap and use it cross body.
3) It is however much less practical to change lenses
4) but since the 105mm is such an amazing lens, this is not a real problem :)
5) Still find it a bit hard to load the film, must be lack of practice
6) I want to keep on shooting with it all the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done, José. Every time I come across images from my old Mamiya M645 1000S, I get a stirring to get another medium format film camera. However, I then remind myself of why I sold it - size and weight. A small, lightweight camera with good IQ that used 120 film would be seriously tempting.

@José Very well put; mirrors my feelings about the Pentacon Six in most regards, though the Pentax certainly is the even more desirable camera.

@tonyturley Minox GT-E or Olympus XA :D I much(!) prefer the IQ of the Minox (more pop, better contrast and peak sharpness from the lens), but the Olympus is a little marvel and a real treat to shoot with. The Minox lacks the rangefinder experience, but it's a supremely fast camera for zone focusing. And as I said, the results surprise me time and again.

Another camera I can heartily recommend (though "lightweight" isn't really a fitting word for its considerable heft) is the Voigtländer Vitessa (II) - possibly with the renowned Ultron lens; mine sports a Color-Skopar, which is a cousin of my favourite lens design, the Zeiss Tessar (as is the Minox's Minoxar, btw.). The Vitessa is a quirky camera at first, but using Sunny 16, it's very straightforward and quick to shoot; and it fits into a (jeans) pants pocket. Furthermore, it's a real rangefinder with a rather nifty mechanism - again, unusual, but well thought out. It's a two-handed shooter, but with a little experience, you can keep it on the eye between shots if you don't want to change shutter speed.

But of course, I don't want fuel anyone's GAS ;)

M.

Yeah, I don't need more GAS! I've spent a considerable amount of time over the past couple of years paring down all of my photography gear, digital and film. My shelves and bags are almost empty now. It has been all too easy for me to buy on impulse over the past few years, and I'm focusing on curbing that trait.

Yeah, I don't need more GAS! I've spent a considerable amount of time over the past couple of years paring down all of my photography gear, digital and film. My shelves and bags are almost empty now. It has been all too easy for me to buy on impulse over the past few years, and I'm focusing on curbing that trait.

I'm also reducing some of my current gear, specially Micro 4/3, but the major reduction was selling all my digital Nikon. I believe I have a good balance now, but still room for some reduction since at some point I bought a big number of Micro 4/3 lenses for some trips I was doing for the first time (e.g.: South Africa or Norway) and I wanted to have a very complete system at the time, that I no longer need with the same extension (e.g.: the 7.5mm fish eye that I bought for some photos inside the bigger airplanes :dash2: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back