Fill the Buffer

ShipleyNW

Veteran
Name
Ken Shipley
I was out on a blustery morning and decided to do a burst-speed trial. I'm fairly new to the mirrorless world and the high-speed, electronic shutters baffle me some, and frankly, scare me a little bit. The times I've turned it up to full blast, it feels like I'm firing out of control. When I get back and start culling images, it seems like I have a million shots. The baffling part is why I would ever do that? Today I went out in a controlled environment and let it rip, emptied the clip, filled the buffer.

So what are we looking at? A sheet of stamps? No. With my Canon R7 set to full electronic and the H+ speed setting, I got 72 images before missing a beat with a UHS-II card. It felt like it took about 3 seconds. That would be 24 FPS. The advertised 30 FPS would work out to a 2.4 second burst. That could have happened. Maybe somewhere in between.

Either way, that's too damned fast. With the work I do, I can't imagine ever needing that.

The collage below is on an 8x9 grid. Let's say it took 3 seconds to expose them all. That means every 9-image column, top to bottom was shot over 3 seconds. If I had my camera set to 3 FPS, I'd get one column, 9 images, over 3 seconds. I bet I could find one exposure in every column of this grid that would fit my needs. I don't need 8 columns worth of images to cull.

LE_16-.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hah! No one needs 30 fps... until they figure out that they want it. Then they need it. In sports... diving, football catches, volleyball spikes, gymnastics vaults and tumbling, tennis serves... a LOT happens in 1/30 second. Many times I wish for a frame between two that I already have. Even looking at your flag shots, there's a lot of change from one to another. If those represented the facial expressions and movements of a halfback running through the line of scrimmage, you'd want all of them to choose from.

It takes a bit of experience* to keep the finger off the trigger. I use 30 fps and try to limit myself to half second (max) bursts. For a swimmer, there might be one shot in there without a splash covering the face.

On the R3, the max speed can be customized up to almost 300 fps, but for very limited duration.

* Remember the definition of experience: what you get when you were hoping for something else. In this case it means coming home with 4000 images instead of 250. More than once.

Back