Film Film camera envy

I can't begin to guess what is driving prices these days. You would think film cameras would be down across the board.

I think it's down to the " cult" status. The Hexar and a few others command top money irrespective of image quality etc. Not knocking the Hexar but I've had amazing film images from point and shoot film compacts that I've paid next to nothing for...( currently learning how to scan negatives ).

I can't begin to guess what is driving prices these days. You would think film cameras would be down across the board.

Not across the board. For example, Leica film camera prices have increased steadily from a couple of years ago. Anything that is collectible or has achieved cult status has maintained or increased its value. I used to own a Contax G system which I sold in 2007 when I thought I would never return to film. It would probably sell now for twice what I sold it for.

Most other film cameras can be had for a song.

Cheers,

Antonio

Not across the board. For example, Leica film camera prices have increased steadily from a couple of years ago. Anything that is collectible or has achieved cult status has maintained or increased its value. I used to own a Contax G system which I sold in 2007 when I thought I would never return to film. It's would probably sell now for twice what I sold it for.

Most other film cameras can be had for a song.

Cheers,

Antonio

Great point Antonio. The Contax G is a conundrum. I should have bought 5 years ago when you could get the full G2 three lens kit for less than $1000. Nowadays you might get the body and possibly a 45mm if you shop well. Film seems to be coming back. Even the 70's RFs are selling for more than they did 5 years ago. :confused:

Great point Antonio. The Contax G is a conundrum. I should have bought 5 years ago when you could get the full G2 three lens kit for less than $1000. Nowadays you might get the body and possibly a 45mm if you shop well. Film seems to be coming back. Even the 70's RFs are selling for more than they did 5 years ago. :confused:

Five years ago you could have bought my G2 outfit for about that much. What I find interesting about used Contax G prices is that we are talking about a fully electronic camera from a manufacturer who is no longer around to provide support or spare parts. I assume they are fairly reliable (mine worked flawlessly for the 7 years I owned them) but I am not sure about the wisdom of spending hundreds of dollars on an electronic camera that may or may not be economically fixable if the electronics die. Nice cameras with phenomenally good lenses, though. Would have made a fantastic platform for a mirrorless digital system.

Cheers,

Antonio

Well I now have a Pentax FA lens that would work on their film cameras.... I looked a bit at some of the Pentax film bodies and the only thing holding me back is price. Really intrigued with getting a film camera seeing images here (especially you Antonio!) :tongue:

I am getting a bit of deja vu here from when I purchased a turntable. Not really needed, and a lot of money spent on those black, shiny, big discs, but also somehow a bit more fun than digital. Not going to say that vinyl sounds better, but sometimes distortion and grain can be more pleasing. :D

Well I now have a Pentax FA lens that would work on their film cameras.... I looked a bit at some of the Pentax film bodies and the only thing holding me back is price. Really intrigued with getting a film camera seeing images here (especially you Antonio!) :tongue:

I am getting a bit of deja vu here from when I purchased a turntable. Not really needed, and a lot of money spent on those black, shiny, big discs, but also somehow a bit more fun than digital. Not going to say that vinyl sounds better, but sometimes distortion and grain can be more pleasing. :D

I´ve never owned a Pentax, but have always looked at MXs and LXs with lust in my eyes...

I also have a soft spot in my heart for vinyl, although sadly I have not owned a turntable for a number of years now. I remember very fondly the first time I was introduced to "high end" audio. This was back in 1984 when I was 18 years old and finishing high school. The system in question was a Linn Sondek front end, Naim electronics and Linn Isobarik speakers. The experience was breathtaking. I've owned decent audio rigs over the years, but the memory of that first experience still lives with me. Sadly, priorities have changed and nowadays I do all of my music listening streamed from my iMac through an Apple TV, or in my car...:(

Cheers,

Antonio

Back