Film Lab for IOS or Android

Hap

Top Veteran
A while back I posted a thread regarding a Kickstarter program from someone developing an app for iOS and Android to use phone for converting film negatives to digital positives......almost automatically, by focussing , detecting frame lines, reproducing with accurate color etc. I thought I would get a response to the general idea...but nothing inspired any of you. I've been waiting patiently through the beta releases which I did not try and the project is not quite finished .

It seemed a good time to re post and see if Brian (or someone else)...an experienced image processing expert could make hide or hair out of where this developer has arrived.

The First 12 Months of FilmLab: 2017 Year in Review

David
Thanks for your response. It does not appear that even the film shooters on this website have any use or interest in quick and accurate film to digital image conversions using their smartphone with an app. I have a number of film cameras and this makes sense to me, even more than having a lab develop my negs and scan all the frames. Some folks do their own developing and mightwant this sort of app to look at promising frames for further processing with high res scans.

The methodology for scanning sounds fascinating. Lots of "high roller" shooters around on this site. I'm sure there may be more interest than the initial response may have appeared. I'd like to see some images made from well shot negatives scanned with Filmlab on iOS devices. We have plenty of iOS devices around here. Now I just need to find someone to soup some negatives in C-41 at a temperature below boiling point. ;)
. . . David

A while back I posted a thread regarding a Kickstarter program from someone developing an app for iOS and Android to use phone for converting film negatives to digital positives......almost automatically, by focussing , detecting frame lines, reproducing with accurate color etc. I thought I would get a response to the general idea...but nothing inspired any of you. I've been waiting patiently through the beta releases which I did not try and the project is not quite finished .

It seemed a good time to re post and see if Brian (or someone else)...an experienced image processing expert could make hide or hair out of where this developer has arrived.

The First 12 Months of FilmLab: 2017 Year in Review

…don’t be too downhearted by the low response here Hap. I’ve signed up to your blog and follow with interest.

After reading ‘The First 12 Months of FilmLab: 2017 Year in Review’ from personal experience I can verify that handy formula reference, 3 x 3 project to market.
If you’ve crunched the numbers including a pessimistic contingency then all will be well.
Promotion and awareness will be slow but sure via your blog and the usual portals. For me Filmlab can’t come soon enough. I’ve tried many dedicated scanners with varying degrees of success. But none come close to the options offered in your beta/demo - and all this from a phone! Meantime, I wish you and FilmLab the very best.

Hi Legine

Just to be clear, I am not the creator of this software , only a Kickstarter supporter....as I thought this was a very good idea on many levels and would be interesting as far as my desire to continue to shoot film ....but have an easy way to digitize images for sharing or preview.

I was hoping that our super moderator, Brian, who has decades of expertise in digital image processing and computer programming, might be inspired to read the comments of Mr Fettig on all the issues he encountered in developing this product and offer comment.

The developer , Abe Fettig, is in New York and works very hard to make this available to smartphone users.

thanks for your input here in the Leicaplace forum.
Hap

Back